Chapter IX

Chapter 9: A prom date

''Would you be my prom date?''

I kept staring at the text and the person who sent it for a long time. I kept going back and forth from the message to the sender to see if I saw it right and that this wasn't a prank.

Maybe it is, but I wouldn't think Namjoon is a prankster or would joke about this. I've known him through Jin enough to know that.

But it still felt so surreal to read it. Does Namjoon really want to go with me? But why? He is older than me, and I'm his friend's sister.

I did not know what to answer. Namjoon has seen that I've seen the message, so there is no going back, or I cannot pretend I haven't received it. Maybe he'll understand if I tell him I will think about it.

But that doesn't mean I will reply to this text. God knows what I might say in this state of mind. I might regret it tomorrow.

Even with these thoughts and panic, I still found myself lowkey smiling at the thought. I had been stressing over this stupid prom and who I'd ask to be my date. And now I wouldn't have to think about it anymore if I said yes.

But what will say yes bring to me? Too much, in my opinion. First of all, his age. Though he is only three years older than me, it isn't too old for me, but to others, it might be. I might get into bullying that I couldn't find a prom date from people my age.

Then, of course, there is Jin. He could easily say no to this though it is none of his business. Just for the sake of it, I'd love to say yes to Namjoon and go against Jin. He told me to mind my business and not care about him and Seolhyun.

What do I do?

I thought about the text for a long time during the evening. I couldn't focus on my homework and kept hearing those two.

Seolhyun's giggles were practically filling up the entire house, and I tried to cover it up by putting the music louder from my headphones. Sometimes it did feel like even those didn't help, especially when the voices started to turn into something more than just giggling.

But eventually, even those stopped, and after it, I did not hear anything. I was still up, and it was about 1 am. I hopped off from my bed to go get some water.

On my way down, I ran into my dad and Jin's mom coming in from the door on that second.

''Y/n? Why aren't you in bed already? It is super late,'' My dad argued.

''I know, but I was struggling with one assignment and came to get some water before heading to sleep,'' I lied to him and walked to the kitchen to get a glass of water before walking back to my room and under the covers.

The morning came quicker than I wanted. I didn't want to go to school as I had just read Namjoon's text and not replied to him. He must think I'm ignoring him in a way, or I was just being rude.

I definitely wanted to skip school and make up an excuse to go, but my parents would see right through me. And I bet Jin would also join the conversation by saying I was fine yesterday.

And it would also tell Namjoon a signal, and I don't want him to think I don't like him.

So I had no choice but to get ready for school. I texted Jungkook to stop by my house as he is only a few blocks away. He often walks to school anyway. I needed to talk to him about this when we weren't in school. I feel comfortable that way and not scared of who will hear and what.