Chapter 23

"You're awake." Rinig kong sabi ng isang boses na familiar pero babae.

I groaned as I opened my eyes.

Nagising ako at kaagad akong napahawak sa noo ko. Nakabukas ang pintuan ng kwarto ko at may naririnig akong ingay sa kusina. Aside from that, nakita kong nasa sahig na ang mga unan ko.

Kaagad akong bumangon at saka ako napa-stretch sa katawan ko.

"Maro, may stock pa ba tayo sa kape?" Sabi ko sabay labas ko sa kwarto ko when I saw someone familiar.

Ate.

Almost 3 years siyang hindi nagpakita. She looks nervous at ako naman ang gulat na gulat.

Maro was right behind her sa may kitchen, napatingin siya sa akin at nakita kong malungkot siya.

Malungkot din ang expression ni Ate.

"Ate..."

Ate slowly approached me. Takot siya kung ano ang magiging reaction ko pero the only thing that I have in mind is that I miss her. Galit ako kasi iniwan niya kaming dalawa ni Maro kay Tita. Our parents also left us.

Now, she came back.

Napatingin ako sa mga mata niya, napaluha siya.

"Maris, I'm so sorry." She began.

Hindi ako makagalaw.

Parang andami dami kong gustong sabihin sa kanya.

Gusto kong magsumbong kay Ate na it was very hard for me these past few years.

I really want to talk to her just like in the old times.

Kahit silence lang niya, sapat na.

I was so eager to find her but I don't even know where to start.

"I left the Philippines. I'm married." Sabi niya.

I blinked twice.

"I met someone last year and we both got our jobs in Canada." Sabi niya. "I was really trying to tell you and Maro and our parents but I just cant." She said.

"You're embarrassed to let your husband's family meet us?"

Napailing siya.

"No, I avoided you guys because I was under-stressed and I was pregnant. My husband knows everything there is to know about our family and we decided that... we will come to you as soon as possible. When I'm ready."

I understand, Ate.

Nagkatinginan kami ni Maro.

Nabalik ang tingin ko ni Ate.

"Maris, I'm so sorry for leaving and not even calling you for years. It was wrong and cruel as a sister. Pero I promise na babawi ako sa inyung dalawa."

"Ate you already gave so much for us."

"There's nothing you have to say sorry, Ate." Sabi naman ni Maro.

Napa-pout siya.

Napatakip siya ng bibig niya.

"Oh my god, you've grown so much, Maro."

"Ate, I am currently one of the dean's listers in my Computer Studies Department." Sabi ni Maro kay Ate.

Kusang tumulo ang luha ko.

"And Ate Maris...." I heard Maro. Ate Maris? Now that's new and warm. "She's top 2."

Ate giggled.

"And let me introduce to you my baby girl..." Sabi ni Ate at saka kinuha ang phone niya at pinakita sa amin ang larawan ng anak niya.

Kaagad ko siyang niyakap at kaagad din niya akong niyakap pabalik.

"Thank you. For everything."

I thought that Ate came here for vacation but because of a funeral.

Ate was trying to reach us both ni Maro kaso hindi niya kami ma-contact. In fact, wala din naman akong phone. Maro is always changing number simula nung may-nag frame sa kanya ng drugs years ago. She called Aunt instead and that's how Aunt and Ate get to talk about our parent's unfortunate accident.

We knew there was something going on even before. Like sa behavior and mood swings ng parents naming. They were using drugs. Addicted to it made them gambled everything there is to gamble kaya ubos parati ang pera naming. The hospital released data of our parents both died of a drug overdose. It wasn't that hard to believe na someday what they're addicted to is what gonna kill them. But they're still our parents.

They left us without a word.

And now they left the world but with a letter written 2 years ago.

The letter was found suspicious after they died. The police thought it might be a suicide case but it wasn't. As the three of us get to read the letter they left under their boxes of treasured drugs, it was an Apology Letter.

I couldn't get the right words but they apologized a lot.

They also said they were both proud of us three.

And I wasn't born as the second Mari. I cried at this part.

They also believed that Maro wasn't guilty of drugs because they can tell. But in order for them to not be caught by the police—they chose to leave us both back then.

That was the reason they left.

Mahirap na daw kasi na baka ma-traced up sila sa pag-investigate ni Maro.

Without a word, they left.

They have also acknowledged Ate's effort for everything but they just felt useless.

The conclusion was our parent's mental health wasn't healthy and that even them as an adult needed therapy. Therapy to become a good decision-maker. Pero nahihirapan silang lumaban and choose to just get high in the world instead. Choose to run away out of overthinking.

Three of us were both crying during the funeral.

Kahit may pagkukulang sila, I think they were really trying hard to be better. But they just can't.

And I can't believe it na hindi man mabibigyan ng chance na mabubuo at magiging masaya kami. We grow up with a complete family but with incomplete souls and feelings.

Hindi man lang kami nagbigyan na magkikita muli.

Hindi man lang kami nagkayap eversince.

Hindi man lang kami nagkausap sa huling sandali.

Napahawak ako sa kamay ni Zadist who is always beside after the news arises. Paolla is also here with us.

Ate and Maro lean on each other as we watched both of our parents being buried.

I sobbed.

I'm sorry.

I love you, Ma. Pa.