Chapter 11

Paolla called my Aunt that I'll be having a group study/sleepover tonight which was the very first time I ever had a sleepover. It's not that my family forbids me, it's just that... I don't.

"Coffee? Juice? Milk?"

Those were the words that Paolla uttered immediately after we entered their mansion-like house.

"I'm sorry, it's just simple." He says.

I eyed her. Pinanlakihan ko siya nang mata.

"Are you kidding? This is like a mansion. You're lucky."

Yung iba nga walang lupa. This is big, already.

She giggled and grabbed my hands towards a room.

Her room, I guess? It's pink. What can I say? As expected.

"So, where should we start? In Math or science?"

She was so excited to learn so it was okay for me to teach her.

I'll be helping her review and that's it. I won't teach her the answers since she's not asking for it and she's eager to learn.

But I didn't think that after all the review sessions, we were just going to sleep when Paolla had a lot of questions about exam questions.

"What is your answer?"

"My answer there is only based on the theory given to our reviewer earlier.

She nods and lays back on her bed.

I am gonna be sleeping beside her.

She got a queen-size bed.

I didn't know Paolla could be this rich.

I was about to sleep. When she opens up a topic ...

"I wish I'd be ranked first this semester." She said without looking at me. Pero dahan-dahan akong napatingin sa kanya.

We have the same goal.

Napatigil ako.

"Not that I wanted to boast. It's just different when you get your parents' attention you."

I know that feeling of wanting to make your parent's attention pero matagal ko nang itinigil ang pangarap na iyon. Simula noong na-realize ko na hindi naman kakuha-kuha nang attention nila ang matatas na marka ko sa school. I have long given up to make them proud. All that I am doing right now is to make life better, satisfy myself while I'm still alive and hopefully in the future get what I want.

"They never noticed my achievements, so I changed my course." Dugtong ni Paolla.

I looked at her.

And I saw the emotion through her eyes. Ramdam kong may pinagdadaanan din pala si Paolla. Napasok sa isipan ko na ang maginhawang buhay ay hindi lang sa pagkakaroon ng stable ma job at money. Paolla literally has almost everything. Money, fame, face, body, and talent so socialize with people. Then, I guess-- every individual in this world faces their own battle.

"Did you shift course?"

"Yeah, I was into Business but they never really cared because they're both lawyers. They think it is best to stay on the humanity-related career."

I nodded. People's opinions and principles are really different.

And we can't change that any longer.

"You? Why do you want to rank?" Bigla niyang tanong.

I was stunned by her question.

"Go to sleep. You'll have to take a rest for tomorrow's exam." Sabi ko nalang. Ayoko kasi pag-usapan. I wouldn't want competition with her.

She's my only friend.

She smiles.

"Oh come on, I'll be having a perfect score when you are teaching me and reviewing with me." He says. "Confident enough because I know you are very smart."

I rolled my eyes at her.

She trusted me that much.

"I saw you at those ranking charts for Scholar Department." She said.

I seriously don't want to talk about it. Tapos hindi din kasi makakatulong sa kanya ang matulog nang late lalong-lalo na at special exam niya ay bukas. She might get sleepy tapos hindi makapag-concentrate lalo.

"I told you to go to sleep," I warned.

"I always admired people like you. Smart and introverted."

I smiled but closed my eyes.

"You should sleep na." I said.

The next day I managed to wake up early and went home.

I also went to school early and unusual too with no one at home.

When I got to school, I saw Paolla taking a special exam at the Teacher's Office. I was going to the Announcement Board what was stamped there.

I saw my name on the board.

First Year - First Semester

Education Department.

There lies my name at First Rank.

How about in second semester?

I gotta claim it.

"Wow."

I was surprised by the voice behind me so I jumped a bit.

I turned to see Zadist.

"What — Why are you shocked?" He asked.

He pinched my nose.

"I'm sorry. I was annoyed with you last night." Sabi niya.

I nodded. "What about last night?"

"You ghosted me. Duh." He said and crossed his arms. Napatingin siya sa bulletin board na tinignan ko kanina. "But I didn't know you ranked first in your department. To my surprise, why are we always on the same page?"

Huh?

I thought.

Don't tell me...

He smiled.

He messed up my hair.

"Just my luck. I didn't know why I also ranked first in the Computer Department. I always figure that I have shortcut solutions in every logical problem." He said so I raised an eyebrow.

"Wow. Logically, what are you doing in our department?"

He is 2 buildings away from here.

He crossed his arms.

"I thought I told you that we can make a way of seeing each other even after our Valentine date." He suddenly said and made a face at me.

I feel like blushing when he said those.

Our Valentines Date.

I was shaken to remove the thoughts about the Valentines.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

His eyes became sad.

Seems like he felt bad for something.

"There is something that you should see or know—"

"MARIS !!!"

We both turned to Paolla who was shouting not far from the two of us.

Z looks away.

"Hi, Zadist." Paolla greeted.

Z just gave her a small smile.

"Hey. Uhm, how was the exam?"

"It was great! I did well and I want to celebrate!"

Z and I looked at each other.

I think Z was trying to tell me he has to go.

"Tara! Milktea! I answer." Paolla said and squealed. She now grabbed my arms and walks with me.

I waved my hand at Z while mouthing the word, 'Sorry'.

He just smiled and waited for me to look away and left. Again.