1- How We Got Here

"Are you sure about this, Amari?" My mom asked me for the third time today. "Yes, mom. I think my quirk would be very useful to pro heroes everywhere!" I shoved a donut in my mouth as my mom continued to worry. "I can't help but worry about you, Mari. You're my baby girl." I roll my eyes playfully, a bit annoyed but knowing that she means well. "Yeah, well your baby girl is 18 years old now, mom. It's time for me to make a difference."

Before she could argue with me more, I gave her a hug and told her I needed to get ready for my first day of classes. She seemed hesitant but let me go to my room. I brushed my hair into my normal ponytail and did some very simple eyeliner and eyeshadow. I put on my school skirt and button up, and pulled my socks up to my thighs. It's not easy to wear thigh high socks, they always roll down on me, so I have to roll them up high. I grab a sweater and my shoes before heading out.

As I get on the bus, I notice a few other girls in school outfits as well. I try not to stare, but I try to see if maybe they're headed to UA as well. I hadn't seen them in the entrance exam, so probably not. It was a girl with bright pink hair, and a girl with a brown bob. I was lost in thought when they looked over at me. Shit, they noticed my staring. The girl with the pink hair whispered to the other and she began to approach me. Fuck, what is she doing? I stopped looking and buried my face into my phone. Regardless, she tapped my shoulder.

"Hey, are you going to UA too?" She said in a higher-than-normal pitch of voice. "Uh.. yeah. I am. How did you know?" I was sweating and really hoped she wouldn't be mad at my staring. "I figured, this is the only bus that runs to it, and you're wearing a school outfit. I'm Mina Ashido. What's your name?" She smiled at me. Oh, so she's not mad? "It's Amari. Amari Natsuko." I said quietly, still trying to catch my breath. "That's such a pretty name! Do you want to come sit with me and my friend? She's headed to UA, too. It might help to get to know some people in the college." I breathed a sigh of relief and nodded, and she grabbed my forearm and led me to the front of the bus, where the girl with the brown bob sat.

"Hey, Uraraka, this is Amari! She's gonna be going to UA, too!" Mina introduces. The girl smiles at me and says, "Hi, Amari. I'm Ochako Uraraka. I hope we'll see each other in our classes. I love your hair, by the way. How did you get it to be that color?" I twirl some of my hair with my fingers. "It's easy with my quirk. Here, I'll show you." They look shocked and I pull my notepad out of my backpack. I begin to write.

Amari's hair changes to the color of burgundy.

In an instant, the color of my hair shimmers and shifts to a dark red burgundy color. "WHOA!" Mina exclaims. "How did you do that, Amari?" Ochako asks me, clearly surprised. "What's your quirk?" I let out a little laugh, happy that someone new had seen and gotten amazed by my quirk. It was like I was a kid again.

"My quirk... is manifestation."