Chapter 38

"My mom is calling again." you say, wincing at the sound of your dreadful ringtone. You're curled up in a ball on Namjoon's couch. "You don't have to pick up. We can just skip school today, no need to tell her anything immediately." Namjoon says, pacing back and fourth.

After seeing Jisu's memorial outside of her school, Namjoon immediately turned around and drove back to his place as he noticed your breath picking up and your face breaking into a sweat; a panic attack.

You cried and cried, but now you're simply overwhelmed, trying to swallow the fact that Jisu is gone. You haven't found out how she died yet but it's not your main concern.
She's just.. gone.
Her death seems like a cruel figment of your imagination. Is this what you wanted?
Namjoon checks your phone for you.
"Wait, y/n, your mom didn't call you. Jisu's mom did." he says, your eyes immediately widen.
You sit up from the armadillo-like position you were in and look up at Namjoon, standing in front of you. Your eyes like a scared puppy. He looks up from your phone with an uncomfortable expression and hands it to you.

He sits down beside you on the couch, "Are you going to call her back?" he asks hesitantly. You sigh then nod.
"If you're ready, i'm here." he says, he looks to you, sad and emotionally drained yet still ready to be your support.
You wrap your arms around Namjoon for a couple seconds, grasping onto the remains m of each other's sanity before looking back to your phone.
As you dreadfully type the digits, reality sets in. You're calling your dead ex-bestfriend's mom. You push away the thought and press "Call".

Jisu's Mom/Ms.Kim
Dialing...

Namjoon rubs your back as the call rings through his empty home.
"Y/N! I was hoping you'd call back." Jisu's mom says. You recognize her voice but it feels unfamiliar, like a distant memory.
You barely saw Jisu's parents. Jisu was always coming to your house, she didn't like being home. Her family was rich and stubborn.

You take a deep breath. "Yeah, hi, Ms.Kim." you say, your voice shaking.
"You know the news, don't you." Jisu's mom says, sounding unfazed by it.
"Yes. I.. heard. I'm so sorry." you say.
"No.. I'm sorry. Jisu was nowhere as close with us as she was with you." Jisu's mom says. Your eyes tear up. "It was a car accident. Her father is in the hospital but he's going to be fine." she says. "Oh, wow." you murmur, unsure of what else to say.

"Anyways, I'm outside your house but it seems to be empty, I have something personal to give to you.. where are you?" Jisu's mom asks, you and Namjoon both look at each other, confused, he was listening to the conversation as well.

You give Jisu's Mom Namjoon's address and hang up the call. You both stand on the porch waiting for her, anticipating every car that drives onto the street.
Until one car finally stops in front of Namjoon's house.

A woman comes out of a car, dressed in an all black velvet dress, holding a snakeskin clutch. As she got closer you could see her tired eyes and mascara that had been running, hidden under a veil. "Oh, Namjoon, you're here?" Jisu's mom says. "This is my place, Ms Kim. I'm so sorry for your loss." Namjoon takes Ms Kim's hand and holds it for a couple seconds in respect.
"It's alright. Can't change what's already done, just mourn." she says with a shrug. Both you and Namjoon nod.
"I forgot that you two are dating.. I remember when you dated Jisu." Jisu's mom says, looking to Namjoon.
"I-."
"Don't apologize. I recall the time you came over to our house to have dinner. I watched as you and Jisu sat across from each other at the table, there was no twinkle in your eye. No spark between you and her."
She stops to stare at both of you,
"I see it here though." she says. You and Namjoon look at each other, he wraps an arm around your shoulders. Ms Kim faintly smiles at the sight of both of you.
"I had just come from the school's memorial. I was hoping to give you this when I saw you there but I guess you were unaware of it." She says, handing you an envelope. It reads your name on the front. "Is this an invitation to the funeral?" you ask.
"No. Jisu had anxiety and always worried about having a sudden death where she wouldn't be able to say goodbye to her loved ones. She wrote a collection of letters with everything she would want to say to those people in the case that she did die. That was a couple weeks ago." Jisu's mom says. Your mouth slightly gapes in shock. "What a coincidence." Namjoon says, visibly sympathetic.
"I think that only helped manifesting her own death. But as long as she got what she wanted, right?" Jisu's mom says. "Well.. thank you. So much." you say.
"Thank you." Ms.Kim replies.
She looks to both you and Namjoon, smiles faintly and nods once before walking back to her car and driving off.
You and Namjoon go back inside the house
"Jisu wrote me a letter? But.. we weren't friends  a couple weeks ago." You say, Namjoon doesn't respond. You look at the sealed envelope then over to Namjoon who's sitting on the couch, staring blankly at the wall.

"I didn't get a letter."

It's only a few seconds before his numb facade crumbles in front of you into a weeping mess. "Oh, baby." you say, walking over to him and comforting him in the warmth of your arms. You tightly embrace his lightly shaking shoulders from the side has he lays his head on your shoulder. His cries echoing in your ear, breaking your heart.
"Maybe she wrote to both of us in my card!"