Promotions and Relocation

Your POV:

It has been a week since Lucas proposed, and everything hasn't practically died down yet. What makes the situation worse is that Lucas doesn't even mind the attention. He loves all of it; he couldn't even see how uncomfortable I am with everyone bombarding us with questions about how our wedding would be. If only Katie was here, she'd know how to handle things. God, I miss her. She wouldn't answer my calls; she didn't even bother to show up in my apartment for our movie night.

I sigh as I continue walking to my boss' office. I've been dreading this day for months, and now it's finally here. Knocking at his door, I heard a faint response telling me to come in. As I opened the door, I automatically saw my boss sitting on his big white desk signing contracts that would probably stack up to our workload and pay.

"You called for me, Mr. Dalimar?" I asked him.

"Ah yes, Ms. Y/ln. Please take a seat. Congratulations on the engagement, by the way." He said as he offered me to take a seat.

I muttered a quick thanks and smiled at his gesture, taking a seat as I cleared my throat.

"As you know, there are three Junior Architects up for the promotion of Project Manager, I've already had a talk with the first two, and now it all comes down to you." He said with a long pause.

I could help but feel more nervous, I'm sweating inside my suit, and goddamn, his stares don't help either.

"Congratulations, Ms. Y/ln, you got the promotion!" My boss proudly announced as I was left speechless.

"I knew from your first day in this company you'll never disappoint. You truly deserve this promotion, and I am very proud of you." My boss added, offering a handshake.

I stood up to shake his hand, smiling wide at the great news he'd just given me.

"Thank you, Mr. Dalimar. You will never regret your decision."

He smiled at my gratitude as we sat back down again to talk about the additional benefits of the job.

I couldn't believe it. It's too good to be true. Everything that he's saying is truly a dream come true. Being the youngest person in the company to be promoted in this position was also an outstanding achievement for me.

"But there's a catch." He said.

Oh no. My heart couldn't take any more surprises for all I know I'll have to relocate for this job.

"We'll be needing for you to move to Ireland for a few years just after you finish the project. After that, you can decide whether to stay there for good or come back here to New York. Either way, you'll still be up for a higher position after you finish your project."

And there you have it, a relocation. He paused as he tried to study my facial reaction. Could I do it? What would my parents say? What would Lucas say?

"I know this is all too much for you considering that you've just got engaged, and it seems like everything is moving too fast, but just think about it. You've worked so hard to be in this position just so you can stop. We both know that's not you. You still have bigger dreams, and we both know without this promotion, those dreams of yours wouldn't come to life." He said.

I looked down at my hands, not knowing if I could make a decision right now. I need to talk to Katie about this; she'll know what to say.

"You have one week to think about it, Ms. Y/ln. I hope you won't disappoint." Mr. Dalimar finished.

I stood up from my seat and thanked Mr. Dalimar for giving me a chance to think about the relocation.

I walked out of his office and went straight to mine. Quickly sitting on my desk, I grabbed my phone to dial Katie's number.

"Pick up, pick up... come on, Katie," I whispered to myself as the phone continued to ring.

After a few more rings, she finally answered the phone.

"Thank God you answered. I need to talk to someone right now." I told Katie. I couldn't think straight... not after hearing Mr. Dalimar's offer.

"Calm down y/n, deep breaths. Just speak slowly." Katie said with a soothing voice.

God, I really missed hearing her voice after she went AWOL on me.

"Okay," I said, trying to calm myself down.

"Okay, so what is it that you need to talk about, hun?" Katie asked.

"I got the promotion," I told her, feeling the panic rise again.

"That's great news, love! I'm happy for you, congratulations! More reasons for us to celebrate." Katie said, happiness evident in his voice.

I, on the other hand, stayed silent. I didn't even notice that I was biting my nails until I felt a stinging sensation on my finger.

"Ouch! Motherfucker." I muttered.

"Y/n, what's wrong? Are you okay?" Katie asked. Her concerned voice ringing through my ear.

"I-I'm fine... it's just that they wanted me to relocate to Ireland if I were to accept the promotion, and I don't know what to do. My boss knows that I needed this job to reach my goals, and he also told me not to disappoint, but what would I do? Lucas proposed, and everyone is pestering me with wedding dates. Everything is going so fast that I could just fucking die. I need this job, Katie." I rambled on.

"Y/n, calm down, breathe, love. We'll figure things out. We always do. What we need to do for now is to celebrate your promotion and not talk about anything else. Let's meet up at our favorite diner after work, and I'll treat you to your favorite. Then after that, we can watch some movies at your apartment to make up for me missing our weekly movie night. Is that alright with you?" Katie said through the phone call.

"I'd actually love that, Katie. God, what did I do to deserve such a good friend?" I chuckled.

"I love you too, y/n. Just text me when you're done with work, so I have time to finish up in my office, okay."

I nodded as if she could see my gesture.

"I will see you later," I said, ending the call.

I smiled to myself, knowing how fun it would be to hang out with Katie again after this stressful week.

God knows how much I needed a break from the world right now, a good thing I have my best friend.

Truly an angel in disguise.

x