6

After a dreamlike night, they spent the night in each other's arms

After a dreamlike night, they spent the night in each other's arms. Niklaus was already awake, silently watching a still, deep asleep Olympe. In the morning light, she looked even more beautiful. Her pale skin appeared gold with the morning sun, and her hair glowed a deep red in the sunlight. He observed her flawless skin and the small moles that covered it sometimes. He stared at the freckles on her thin nose. He was almost afraid to touch her, afraid she was a dream.

She stirred, moving closer to his chest, nestling her head against him before grumbling unintelligible words. He softly laughed, caressing her hair and kissing the top of her head.

"Good morning, love."

"Hum, 'morning..." she moved her head to kiss his chest before slightly leaning back to see his face. They smiled at each other before sweetly kissing, the room filled with laughter and soft whispers.

In the morning, Niklaus explained to Olympe that he would have to go back to his siblings to let them know where she was if she did not want to follow him. She sighed, looking away from the window.

"I don't know Nik, I'm not sure I'll really be welcome."

"Don't be silly, love, you know Rebekah and Kol deeply miss you."

"If they did, why aren't they here then?"

"Olympe," he stood up from his place by the breakfast table, going by her side and holding her hands. "I know you think you are not a part of our family, but it is untrue. You are. You have been our family for five hundred years, and I hope you will be for even longer..." he declared, staring right into her eyes.

He could see her doubts, but he hoped she would follow him to Austria. He didn't think he could bear being far from her right now; he felt oddly vulnerable.

"Can you give me some time, dear?" She asked, passing a gentle hand through his curly hair, "I wish to think about it."

"Anything you want, my love." He quickly agreed.

She smiled at him before standing too.

"Do you want to meet Adelaide?" She proposed.

He looked at her perplexed, wondering who she was talking about. She laughed at his face, swiftly kissing his lips and slightly chuckling.

"The painter Adelaide De Letang, the one who made all the paintings in your room."

"Ah, yes, sure, I would like to meet her."

"Great, I have an appointment close to her home, so we should go soon."

The two went upstairs to prepare before leaving the luminous city, taking a carriage. They soon arrived at a small village by a large river. Niklaus remembered it was Olympe's hometown.

It didn't change much, still very much green, a few more houses had been added, but that was it. It felt like it had somehow been stopped in time.

They halted in front of a large mansion surrounded by trees and flowers of all kinds. Niklaus quickly followed Olympe out of the carriage to the white front door. She didn't knock that the door immediately opened. She confidently stepped inside, and Niklaus followed.