5.2

You don't ever have to

Be stronger than you really are

When you're lyin' in my arms, baby

You don't ever have to

Go faster than your fastest pace

Or faster than my fastest cars

I'll pick you up

If you just come back to America

Just hit me up

'Cause this is crazy love ...

- California, Lana Del Rey

Olympe and Nik were dancing in time to the soft music as they waltzed around the large hall

Olympe and Nik were dancing in time to the soft music as they waltzed around the large hall. The couple stood out among hundreds of others. All the nobles of Aquitaine had joined the festivity. They were all saying the same thing: Lady De Letang and her partner were the most beautiful couple of the evening.

Niklaus was smiling down at the young lady in his arms, watching how the lights were reflecting on her skin, in her eyes, on the diamonds and rubies she was wearing... He couldn't look away. In all honesty, he didn't even try. He didn't want to. He felt like the more he looked into her eyes, the more alive he was.

As they danced, they forgot everything around them until they were tired and had to stop.

"Let's find somewhere to sit, shall we?" he guided her through the crowd, a possessive hand on the small of her back. He couldn't help but notice how all the men, and even women, looked at her, and it made his skin crawl.

He found them some seats and swiftly grabbed two cups of Champagne from a waiter. While his back was turned, another man sat directly next to Olympe, so close to her that he was thigh to thigh with her, making her look somewhat uncomfortable.

"Good evening, milady," the man started, "may I voice my profound admiration for your beauty?"

Before she could even open her mouth to answer, Niklaus was turned to the man with a deadly glare.

"I believe you just did so," he grumbled slightly, taking Olympe's right hand into his own.

The man ignored him, his attention entirely focused on the young girl.

"May I ask your name, Milady?" He waited a while for an answer, but Olympe had turned towards Niklaus. She smiled gratefully when he gave her a cup of cool Champagne. Unmistakably, she was purposely ignoring him. However, that did not stop or repel the man.

"I am Lord Pierre Merigné at your service, milady."

Now, Olympe was annoyed. She was having a lovely evening with Nik, who she hadn't seen in ages, and she just wanted to enjoy his presence. It felt so good to have him back by her side, like warm and squishy kind of feelings. She liked the possessive hand on her back, the dark glare he was sending to whoever looked at her for too long. She adored the way his eyes crinkled when he was smiling, that unique smile he had when looking at her. She loved the way some of his hair always fell on his forehead, cherished the way he talked, he moved... she could go on all night. And that stupid man was disturbing them and couldn't get a hint when she threw a dozen at him.

She sighed, irritated, before turning her hazel eyes to the eyes who smiled at her. She crafted her most fake polite face before answering the annoying man.

"It would have been a pleasure to meet you, milord, if only you weren't disturbing my fiancé and me," she sweetly smiled. Still, her eyes were cold and hard. She leaned closer to his face, her gaze piercing his. "However, I would greatly appreciate it if you could walk away and trouble someone else."

She watched him going away after being compelled with a content grin. She turned to Nik again, observing him and happily smiled.

"So, your fiancé?" He said with a smirk.

That's when she realised what she had said. She felt her cheeks warmed and a sudden wave of embarrassment submerged her. She nervously laughed, shrugging. She didn't have any proper explanation other than she wanted the man to go away.

"It makes me happy that you voiced it this way," he continued, leaning into her side, his lips against her ear, "does that mean my feelings for you aren't in vain?"

Trying to regain her composure, Olympia's cheeks began to redden more. She couldn't quite understand why Niklaus was always making her all timid and embarrassed when she was used to seducing her way into men's castles and ballrooms.

They danced for a few more hours before finally leaving the luxurious ballroom. They had decided not to take a carriage and walk their way home. The streets were finally empty, and Niklaus and Olympe enjoyed the silence and peacefulness. He was busy looking at how the street lights reflected on the windows, and he didn't notice Olympe staring at him. Her heart was warm from the evening they had, and she couldn't wipe the tender smile from her face.

Looking at his face with such adoration in her eyes, she had a sudden desire to be closer to him. Therefore, she gently slid her right hand into his left, feeling the warmth radiating from him, and held him tightly. He briskly looked down at her, a little surprised by her sudden boldness. She smiled at him, watching it being mirrored. They silently stared at one another before slowly leaning closer until their lips gently touched. She leaned in closer until her lips completely touched his.

Once they were actually kissing, she let out a contented sigh. She kept her hands on Niklaus' waist, holding him as closely as she could while he held her face against his palms, deepening the kiss. She could feel him slightly shaking from emotions while she was submerged by a warm feeling.

They kissed for a long time, stealing each other's breath, before unhurriedly pulling away with silly smiles. As they held on for dear life to each other, a silent promise was made between them.

Always and forever...

Maybe, just maybe, forever wasn't too bad, Olympe thought, pressing her face against his neck while they hugged each other. Perhaps they deserved it.