Part 16

A lot was going on in the Buckingham household later that same day. It was Friday, which meant the kids, for a change, had plans. Lindsey was going through Will's packed bag, making sure his son had all of the essentials for an overnight stay at a friend's house. Kristen was with the girls, helping them out picking dresses and discussing hairstyles for a birthday party. It was a pajamas party, organized by Leelee's best friend's mother. The girls met at school and just clicked. Naturally, Kristen had gotten to know the mother too quite well, so she agreed to help chaperone a bunch of 8 to 12 year olds. However, she said, yes, prior to Lindsey approaching her with the whole Stevie staying with them idea.

Stevie preferred to stay away from the chaos. She didn't really want to witness Lindsey and Kristen co-parent. Since Karen had left as well, stating that she had no real business being there, Stevie found herself wondering, what to do, until Lindsey was free. She guessed that a long night awaited them, because they had only spent a few hours working earlier that day. 

The room, Stevie had been occupying for the past couple of days, faced the driveway. As she sat in the middle of the bed, writing in her journal, she heard one car leave, then another in about half an hour. A strange feeling came over her, when she realized, she was completely alone in the house, which did not belong to her. 

Lowering her feet on the floor, Stevie got out of bed and went over to the window. Sulamith obediently followed her. Looking down, she smiled at her beloved pet. "Would you like to go outside, Sula?" The small dog barked as small dogs do, making a short shrill sound, and Stevie walked out of her room, Sulamith tucked under her arm.

Opening the backdoor, Stevie stepped out into the backyard. She put her dog down on the ground and began following the path, which led to Lindsey's studio. Hugging herself around the middle, Stevie looked around. Everything was kept so well, tended to with great care. She couldn't stop thinking, however, that Lindsey probably had very little to do with any of it. His studio was his sanctuary, the rest of the house and its premises, well, it was just that. She shooed Sulamith away from the edge of the pool, wondering, how much time Lindsey actually spent swimming in it.

Stevie lost track of time, wandering around the Buckingham residence. She didn't even hear Lindsey's car or him, walking out through the backdoor as she stood with her back to the house. She jumped slightly at the feeling of a strong pair of arms wrap around her from behind. She smiled.

"Missed me?" Lindsey asked, his lips close to her ear. 

"I always miss you, Linds." Stevie answered him honestly, rubbing the length of his arm with the palm of her hand. 

"Even when a handsome cowboy is checking you out?" 

She freed herself from his embrace and picked up Sulamith, holding her pet close to her chest. "Made you a little jealous, huh?"

"Well, the man did offer you to take a ride with him right in front of me." Lindsey stuck his hands in his jeans pockets. 

"You're adorable." Stevie smiled, touching the side of his face. She brushed her thumb over his cheek. "You haven't shaved today."

"Does it bother you?" Lindsey reached for her hand and entwined their fingers together. She shook her head. "I didn't think, it would. Are you hungry?"

"Not really." Stevie shrugged her shoulders, letting go of his hand. After all, they were outside. "Should we go back in there?" She asked, showing to the studio. 

"Yeah, we've barely done anything today." Lindsey agreed, his arm around her waist as he took a step in that direction.

~

A filler, I know. But I'll be back later ;)