Chapter 29 - The Circle of Envy

Once again, they came up to a long stairway going farther down the mountain. At the end of it was another archway that belched warm air and of which carried a smell of burned flesh and sulfur.

The smell triggered Victor's memory when he was in Mount Muradok. That poisonous smell almost suffocated him to death if not of the gift of wine from his godparents, which he used as an antidote to the poison.

But first and foremost question, what was this burning got to do with envy? He shivered just the thought of burned human flesh. It was a torture just to think of it, inflicting more fear to his already anxious mind.   

"This is creepy," Trobit wiped his nose. "It smells like Mount Muradok." 

"Same thought," said Victor.

The moment they passed through the archway, Master Tyrus's candle died and darkness concealed them. "Don't move," he warned. "Stay where you are and be quiet. Trobit, find me a match. Hurry!"

Trobit's hands searched for the matchbox inside his backpack. It took a little while before he got a hold of it. He ticked a stick on the side of the matchbox and a tiny light flickered in the dark. It lasted for a few seconds, then a sudden blow of the wind put it off. He tried it again, and again, and again, yet in every attempt he made, he felt the wind blowing right to his face.

"What's happening here?" said Trobit impatiently. "Somebody kept on blowing my matchstick off!" He felt more irritated than scared to whoever was making fun of him.

"The message is clear," said Rower. "Light is forbidden here. I guess we have to walk in the dark."

"Wait. Try Nargrethe's lamp, Trobit," said Victor.

Trobit brought out the lamp. "Ada," he said, and yet, there was no light coming out from the lamp. It's not working.

"Mine either," said Bogle, referring to his necklace.

"We're way too deep now, the Light of Nargrethe can't serve its purpose anymore. We have no choice but walk in the dark," said Master Tyrus. "Victor, hold my shoulder, Trobit, hold Victor's, Rower, stay last." He pulled out his sword from the scabbard and used it as a cane and led the way.

"So, this is how it feels to be blind," said Victor. He recalled, he once saw a group of blind humans in Copenhagen. They're passing the pedestrian lane with the aid of their sticks, one holding one's shoulder while they walked in one line. It seemed so difficult for them to walk by just relying with their sticks and sense of hearing.

They're not different from these blind humans now as darkness mantled their path. Any danger ahead would mean a total defenseless fight for them. Their advantage so far was no other creatures roaming around the mountain except them. He sneezed and the mountain answered back with an echo.

"Since I smelled that cold dust, my nose became very sensitive," blurted Victor. "That smell of sulfur is stirring my nose itchy. I hate sneezing."

"I have bad feelings about this," said Rower, commending that he was still behind them.

Their journey was far slower than before. Victor knew Master Tyrus was careful in every step he made to keep them safe. One stumbling block could lead to a chain of casualties. The path was safe as they're walking on a flat ground, and hopefully the stretch would continue this way.    

"Why so quiet?" said Trobit. "It's giving me an eerie feeling ... usually we hear people screaming when we're reaching the circle."

"I think we're still far from the circle," said Master Tyrus. He came to a sudden halt as his sword struck on something that hindered their way. His hand searched for it and it's the wall, and to his right, there was space. "Wall on your left," he said. He made some side steps to his right and continued walking.