Chapter 4 - The Three Companions

The sun had set when the Northern Alabaster Gate belched the exhausted Victor. It's not about the journey to the Black River that made him feel this way, it's more about the quest too dangerous and heavy for a boy his age. And just to think of what the Boss had said about the seven circles of darkness, it sounded the same as hell. There could be beasts, demons and fire out there—an eternal damnation.

He was imprisoned in a limbo once, when his Uncle Thorkel and Aunt Cassandra held him captive in Mount Muradok, and he didn't like it. Since then, he never switched the light off in his bedroom, even in his sleep.

For him, being a captive in the dark was the same as denying his vision. And now he's going to another dark pit, far threatening and perilous. He's scared, yes, very scared. He had no choice though, but face his fear for Rower's sake, and from there, he would find peace.

Bogle came out from the red birch tree and landed on his shoulder. "Things didn't come up the way it should be, isn't it, my prince?" he whispered.

"As I fear so, Bogle."

"I'm so sorry, my prince."

Master Valtor felt relieved seeing him back from the journey, but with the rooster still in his hands, the gatekeeper's face became serious. "What's wrong, my prince?"

"Something came up, Master Valtor, and I need your help. Do you know how to open the portal to Mount Saligia?"

"Mount Saligia? But ... why? That's in the Darkworld, my prince, the world of the dead. It's very dangerous. You can't go there."

"I know, Master Valtor, but I need to go there tomorrow noon. Please work on it tonight? Prioritize it. The code to the portal is my name."

"I'll do my best, my prince," said Master Valtor hesitantly.

"Make sure, Master Valtor, every second counts. I expect everything to be in order tomorrow." He handed him the alabaster stone and was about to fly when he noticed two familiar figures standing in the dark.

"Father... Mother ... why are you still here? You should be resting by now."

"We want to make sure you're coming home tonight," said Queen Magenta. "Let's go home and tell us why you still have the rooster with you. I believe it's serious."

He followed his parents at the Function Chamber. The white rooster kept secured in his hands and he had no intention of putting it down for the fear that it might slip away. He flicked his wand and created an iron cage for the rooster. "Stay here for a while, buddy," he whispered.

Next, he put the feathers on the table and didn't waste time telling his parents of what had transpired at the Black River, so with his meeting with the Boss. A moment of silence dominated the Function Chamber after he finished his story. Some words of comfort or encouragement from them would be of great help, to at least uplift his spirit, but their silence made him even more anxious.

"And what are these feathers for again?" King Godfred broke the silence, quite lost after his revelations.

"These feathers are keys to the gates of Mount Saligia and the seven circles of darkness. I have no idea how these feathers work. I forgot to ask the Boss," said Victor with a tone of regret in his voice. He took a feather and ran between his fingers. "I can't imagine how it could open a door lock ... they're so soft and fragile."

Queen Magenta took a feather and examined it more closely. She felt something mysterious were hidden inside. "You can figure it out when you see the gates." She didn't sound enthusiastic though.

As for King Godfred, his facial expression appeared more concerned and worried than anything else extraordinary in the feathers. "Are you sure about this quest, Victor?" There's a rapture of protest in his voice. He called him son, always, but with his full name reiterated, he's expressing authority not only as his father, but also as his high king.