Chapter 6 - Farewell to the Families

Early the next morning, the companions alongside with their families gathered around the long table for breakfast. Victor was the last to enter the dining hall. Reckoning the complications of the quest kept him awake for hours--he slept short and shallow. His arrival stopped the on-going serious conversation among the guests. They rose to greet him.

He welcomed each of them with a handshake, more as a gesture of gratitude than a greeting. He approached first Master Tyrus's wife, Madam Leksika, and son, Minister Zefron, then Trobit's father Souman, mother Drianne, and little brother Kempee.

For the first time he met Bogle's family. They, too, occupied a distinct place on the table customized to their sizes and needs. They are one cute, happy family. He observed how glad Bogle was while talking to them. He miss his family, too.

"Good morning, my prince!" Bogle greeted. "Please meet my father Pompus, my mother Jandra, and my sisters Nala and Meas. Thank you, my prince, for inviting my family here."

Victor could hardly distinguish Bogle from them, only that the father had a bigger physique compared to the mother and the siblings. They all had brown backs and spotted breasts, which were typical to a thrush kind.

"Welcome, Mister Pompus and family! It's my pleasure to meet you all."

"The pleasure is mine, my prince," said the father. "We are so proud of our son being a friend to you."

"And I'm grateful I have a friend like your son, Mister Pompus. I'm lucky to have Bogle on my side."

He's indeed grateful for this gathering initiated by his father and mother. It's always a tradition in Solandia to throw a farewell party to families and friends travelling to distant lands to impart good luck and safe voyage. Hopefully, this tradition would serve its purpose well as they needed it so badly here and now. His heart hurt just the thought of putting his friends' lives in danger and with no assurance of their safe return.

The voice of Trobit cut his sentiments when he whispered something behind him. "Please make sure no wine is served on the table, or else, father would lose his head this early."

"Don't worry, they don't serve wine in the morning."

"That's good to know."

King Godfred and Queen Magenta came in exactly eight o'clock in the morning. Everybody rose to acknowledge their arrival.

"Good morning and welcome!" greeted King Godfred, while they remained standing. "In a few hours, a member of our family will leave Solandia in pursuit of a quest in another world. We gathered here together today to show our love and support to them. We pray as one family to the goddess Sol that she will guide their journey, keep them away from sickness and harm, and bring them back home safe and sound. May the goddess Sol protect them!"

"May the goddess Sol protect them!" they prayed.

Brunch was served on the table. Victor thought it could be the best meal for them for the next twenty-four days, hopefully not the last. He heaped his plate full and savor the taste.

The feeling was the same when he celebrated his thirteenth birthday. He's scared of the mortality curse, of dying young, of leaving Solandia and staying with humans without power or magic. It's happening again, and this time, he's not going to the world of the living, but to the world of the dead. Far worse than what he could imagine.

It affected his appetite somehow. What sparked hope, however, were his friends accompanying him in this quest. He's not alone this time.

A couple of hours later, King Godfred and Queen Magenta gathered the companions at the Function Chamber for final briefing, while their families were ushered to the guest hall to wait.