Chapter 27 - The Punishment for Gluttony

Rower sat on the marble floor and faced the wall. He was starving and on the verge of getting tempted, too. He closed his eyes to calm himself, control his cravings.

Bogle approached him and sat on his shoulder. "Please don't get tempted, Rower. I don't know what to do if you join them, too."

Although Rower couldn't grasp Bogle's twittering that clear, he tried to communicate with him, at least to say his thoughts and plans so Bogle would know what to do in case he needed his help.

"I'm doing my best to fight the temptation, Bogle. But for now, there's nothing we can do to save our companions, just stay on guard and keep an eye on them. Let's wait and observe."

He looked around to find a place where he could shield himself from the temptation, but the palace was wide and open and there's nowhere to hide. "Now where will I rest?"

"I have an idea," said Bogle. "Why don't you hide under the table, in that way, you can't see the food? It might help." To show him, he landed on the floor, hopped in between the chairs, and took refuge under the table.  

"Yes, why not?" said Rower. He's in distress and couldn't think straight anymore, it might be the best thing to do now. He pushed the two backpacks under the table, followed by the rooster cage, then squeezed himself in.       

He sat quietly, sensing if the temptation lurking him still. In a way, it's working. The table was broad and they couldn't reach him even if they dare kick him. The more they couldn't bend if they try to catch him unless they crawl down. He felt better. "I think we're safe here," he whispered.

"For the time being--yes," answered Bogle.

Rower observed around. He noticed how men and women alike wore beautiful and well-polished black shoes, and yet, their feet seemed forcefully fit into them. Their hips wider than their chairs, thighs and legs as round and as big as logs, and their tummies pumped up with heavy, layered luggage of fat—a disgraceful uproar beneath their fancy attires. If all these excess fats were sucked off and recycled, then there would be enough ration of oil all winter round.

He grinned, at least entertained by the thought of it and it made him forget his situation for a minute. As he came back to his senses, he shook his head over his foolish imagination. These were humans with feelings and dignity, and not some kind of pigs for slaughter. They deserved respect, too.

Bogle had read his mind. "I hope Trobit, Victor, and Master Tyrus won't turn as podgy as them, I didn't know gluttony has a corresponding punishment for humans. I thought all punishments are only for the mean and the wicked."

"Did you notice something strange, Bogle?" said Rower. "They've been eating for hours, and it seems like they never get full, as if they're hungry all the time. There's no feeling of satisfaction in them."

"Yeah, I wonder where all the food go."

Rower yawned. He rubbed his eyes as he's getting bored and sleepy. "Let's take a short nap ... nothing will change here anyway ... not until the next banging of the gong." He stretched his body over the polished marble floor and closed his eyes.  

Time went by when the rooster crowed and created a loud echo all over the banquet hall, somehow destroying the ambience of the party. Rower jolted up from his rest. He felt uneasy as the sound might irritate the people and strangle him to death. He remained quiet and observant if heads would be lunging under the table. He knew he had no chance of escaping. And what would they do to him in case they catch him?

A few minutes had passed and no commotions happened around. He took a long breath of relief. He realized nothing could really trigger their senses once the spell of gluttony had taken effect on them. He crawled slowly toward Master Tyrus and Victor and made a knot in their ropes—day fifteen was over and they had nine days left. He noticed Bogle was not with him; he thought maybe he looked after Trobit. 

Victor and the Seven Circles of Darknessजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें