18. The Eyes Tell

Start from the beginning

"That's not a problem. I'll do anything to get my hands on that man," Dae Ho growls with tightened fists, knuckles turning white.

❛ ━━━━━━✦❪✥❫✦━━━━━━ ❜

Haneul pushes the glass door and exits the hospital. It's been a week since he heard about Minji's death. Although he doesn't want to accept it, he could do nothing to change the truth. The meeting with Dae Ho that day still seems surreal to the doctor. The words exchanged or the emotions he had displayed after months felt as if Dae Ho had finally let the mask he'd been wearing crack for a moment.

"Haneul!"

The doctor stops in his tracks and turns to the voice.

"I've been calling you for some time now," the man wearing a similar white coat says, rolling a pen between his fingers.

"I know. I was ignoring you on purpose, Dr. Kim."

"W-what?" The man gawks with raised brows, taken back by his answer. "That's a bit harsh."

"For a man who threatened to ruin my career, I think it's more than justified."

"Look," Kim Ryeong starts with a lick of his lips. "That's what I'm here to tal—"

"Do whatever you want. I'm leavin—"

"Wait!" The cousin gets a hold of Haneul's sleeve. "I-I'm here to apologize."

"What? Is it a new game you're trying to play?"

"N-no, no. I'm serious. I don't want the director position anymore." Ryeong rubs his hands together nervously.

"You are a persistent man, why'd you change your mind suddenly?" Haneul is skeptical of the man's behavior, just a few weeks ago he acted all confident and cocky about turning in his photos to the media.

"I...I don't want to see him again."

"See who?" The doctor tilts his head in confusion.

"A reape— harabeoji! I mean I don't want to see that old man's face again." Ryeong titters. "I'll not ruin your career is all I want to say." He jogs away into the hospital before the younger could ask anything else.

"That didn't make any sense at all. Is he alright?" Haneul pinches his eyebrows together.

The doctor licks his lips, he has been feeling eyes on him, like someone is watching him, since the morning. He whips his head to scan the area but only finds parked cars and a few nurses by the bus at the corner. A ping on his mobile phone jolts him and Haneul chuckles at his paranoid self.

Haneul slips his phone into his pocket and raises his arms in the air, stretching and twisting his wrists to unwind

Haneul slips his phone into his pocket and raises his arms in the air, stretching and twisting his wrists to unwind. He walks to his car, and once again he feels them on him. Watchful eyes. His ears strain at the sound of steps that match his walking pace. It's an open public space, it wouldn't go unnoticed if someone attacked him here. The doctor takes in a long breath and sighs. "How long do you plan on tailing me?" he asks craning his neck to the side.