Chapter Seventy Nine: Recovering and Reconnaissance

Start from the beginning

'Now, we just need to loosen up some more...'

There is only one thing that would put everyone in a conversational mood.

"Do you girls want some champagne?" I suggested, smiling.

"Yes!"

"That would be great."

So I went and pulled a champagne bottle out of the refrigerator.  I picked my three biggest wine glasses, filling them about three quarters of the way.

"Let me help you with that," Rose said, watching me limp back from the fridge. She took the two champagne glasses from me, then went to grab mine, "Just sit down."

"Thanks," I smiled. That little bit of compassion really impressed me. I relaxed on the couch and gratefully took my glass from her, taking a sip. It was just as delicious as always, and was the only alcoholic beverage that I enjoyed.

Champagne gave me a little bit of courage to press further for gossip.

"Did Harin ever have any other boyfriends?" I asked, "She was always so obsessed with Shownu, right?"

"She was!" Lisa laughed, taking a drink of the champagne, "But she definitely messed around with some other models."

Rose's eyes lit up as she started to recall something, "Right! I remember talking to a model friend, she walked the Louis Vuitton runway show, and apparently Harin was caught making out with some guy backstage."

"Wow," I muttered, "Who was the guy."

Rose shrugged.

"But I don't think that was the first time either," Rose continued. "She and I were at the Mykonos at around the same time once. My friend said that Harin was caught making out with a couple of other models, she tried to steal someone's boyfriend once too. She's a train wreck."

If only I knew who Harin was messing around with. Then I could figure out who she ran off with. 

My home phone rang on the couch's side table. I leaned over to answer it, "Hello?"

"Hi, your food delivery is here. I'm bringing it up now," Junhee said.

"Perfect! Thank you!"

A few days later, I was laying on the couch, rewatching "To the Beautiful You" for the fifth time now. I'd started watching more tv, because there was nothing else I could do to kill time. But I easily became bored, getting lost in thought

I had my checkup with Dr. Kim that morning. 

My thoughts wandered back to Shownu, and what he told me at the first doctor visit.

"This is my personal doctor..."

It was nice of Shownu to send me to his family's doctor. Dr. Kim must have treated generations of Shownu's family, like his Dad and Grandfather. 

'Dr. Kim must know a few of their dirty secrets.'

Our doctors see us at our worst. They treat us when we're sick, give us bad news, and try to help us through difficult times. I wondered what Dr. Kim knew about the Sohns that no one else did.

It would be convenient if I could just straight-up ask Dr. Kim. But doctor-patient confidentiality, and human decency, meant that he wouldn't divulge any information. And if I did ask, he'd probably ban me permanently from his office. 

I sat up suddenly, a nefarious idea coming to mind.

'I could just... steal the family's hospital records.'