Chapter 14

Highgrove, August 1982

Diana's arms are tightly wrapped around Charles as he rode his horse with her around their Highgrove residence. He helped her down when they reached their favourite place on their property, on top of the hill overlooking their mansion.

"Tea?" Diana served tea to her husband from the vacuum flask they brought with them.

"Thanks." Charles drank his share and returned the cap of the flask for Diana to have a tea herself.

"Mama called me yesterday, she wants William to be christened on her birthday in Buckingham."

"What time? I don't want to disrupt Wills' feeding time, he can be grumpy and uncooperative when he's hungry."

"11 am she said, before luncheon to celebrate her birthday and William's christening."

...xxx...

Buckingham Palace, August 4,1982

"Wills, you are already looking like a future king wearing this Honiton white lace gown." Charles said beaming with a smile when he saw Diana go out of the nursery carrying William after she changed his clothes for the christening.

"He does. I fed him and managed to put him to sleep. Hope he stays like this throughout the ceremony." Diana said, she's worried once William wakes up he'll cry.

"He will, we must go to the music room everyone's waiting for us excited to see our son." Charles kissed Diana tenderly on her forehead and led her to the music room.

William stayed quiet through the christening, he only started to cry when every member of the royal family wanted to have a picture with him.

Charles noticed Diana's distress watching their son wailing with everyone wanting to have a picture taken with him.

"They are just excited to see William my heir, second in line to the throne. It will pass." Charles whispered to Diana and held her hand to calm her.

"I'm just not used to see Wills wailing." Diana whispered back.

"Charles, Diana come here let's have our official photo taken." Queen Elizabeth called them.

When William was returned to Diana, she did her best to calm her son but he continued to cry. "I think you are hungry, just bear with it for a little longer Wills."

...xxx...

Buckingham Palace,1983

Queen Elizabeth called Charles and Diana to Buckingham and have audience with them.

"How are you both and William?" The queen asked.

"We are fine mama, William is growing up fast." Charles answered his mother.

"That is good, I called you both because I think it is time for the two of you to do your royal foreign duties together."

"Where to?"

"Australia and New Zealand. I have given your schedules to your private secretaries. I don't mean to put you two under pressure but this trip is of outmost importance with the tense relationship Australia's current prime minister has with the monarchy.

"We understand, we will not fail you and the monarchy."

...xxx...

Kensington Palace

Charles watched as Diana put William to sleep in his room in the nursery.

"Do you think it would be alright to bring Wills with us?" Diana asked looking at her husband.

"I think so, we can inform Australia's prime minister about it and maybe extend our trip to 6 weeks so we can have some private time as a family while we are there."

Diana kissed her husband, "Thank you darling, Wills will love the warm climate there."

"I'm sure he will." Charles said with a smile.

...xxx...

Charles and Diana are well received in Australia that everyone flocked the streets and events they were attending to see them. Although it was her first foreign tour everyone accepted and loved Diana much to the delight of Charles.

"Wow, I didn't expect this many people wants to see us." Diana said happily to Charles.

"Yes, I think we beat my parents record when they visited Australia before. I think they want to see you more than me." Charles said when he heard people calling his wife's name more than his.

"I'm sorry, I didn't eaxactly call for their attention to myself." Diana explained, she didn't want Charles to feel jealous or anything with the popularity she received.

Charles held her hand and kissed it, "It's alright, I am not jealous that they want to see you more than me. I am happy they accepted you here like they did in England."

Despite their busy schedule, they still find time to be with William who stays at Woomargama Station with his nanny.

With Charles and Diana's popularity, they solidified the presence of the monarchy in Australia and New Zealand.

....xxx...

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. I am sorry if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes.