Chapter 8

Diana spent the holidays with Charles and his family in Sandringham Estate and met with his extended family including his cousins and other relatives. She was glad Charles joined her when they bought gifts for everyone, for Charles knows them well to know what gift best suits whom.

Charles can see his cousins and other relatives accepted Diana like one of their own and are looking forward to spend more time with her in the future. At that moment he was sure that she really is the one.

...xxx...

January 1981, Buckingham Palace

Andrew inspected the ring his brother Charles chose for Diana's engagement ring. "You do know as part of our family's tradition she will have to choose her ring and not you choosing it for her."

"I know. If Diana chooses that among our royal ring heirlooms then she really is the one which I have no doubt she will." Charles said with confidence.

Ever since he met Diana and the circumstances that led him to it he knew she was the one for him. Spending time with her solidified his belief that Diana was the one he's been looking and waiting for so long.

"I'm happy for you Charles, I will personally bring this to the royal jeweller and instruct him to include this with the rings Diana will choose from. The only thing that remains is her saying yes to you. Good luck."

...xxx...

Windsor Castle

Charles checked the meal his chef prepared for him and Diana one last time and when he's satisfied, he walked to the entrance of Windsor to wait for Diana.

"This is it Charles, I hope she says yes." Charles thought hoping Diana will accept his proposal.

Diana wore a simple evening dress thinking she and Charles will just have dinner together. Since the holidays she spent with Charles and his family both of them had been busy and this is the only time they were able to find time for each other after a long time.

Charles kissed her on the cheeks when she arrived, "Welcome to Windsor. I missed you so much."

"Thank you for inviting me. I missed you to." Diana smiled and held his hand.

"I hope you are hungry, my chef prepared all your favorites." Charles said to her earning a laugh from Diana.

They were eating together at the dinning room when Charles suddenly asked her the question. He originally planned to ask her properly after dinner but due to his nerves he asked the question suddenly without warning.

"Will you marry me?" Charles asked sweating cold sweats inside of his suit. "Damn it Charles you asked her without warning, you can't take back what you said now."

Diana almost choked on her food from what she heard and laughed nervously thinking Charles was not serious but his silence said everything.

"Yes I will." Diana answered her heat beating faster than usual, even she's in shock of what just happened.

"I..." Charles lowered his head embarassed at the situation.

Diana walked towards Charles when she noticed his discomfort and held his hands. "I want nothing more than to be your wife Charles, I love you, love you so much."

"I love you too Diana, I'm sorry I didn't propose to you properly for my nerves got to me. I don't even have your ring yet for you have to choose you ring, it is our family's tradition." Charles explained, he knows Diana deserves nothing but a proper proposal with him down on one knee asking for her hand.

Diana held his face in her hands, "What matters is our feelings for each other, not how you proposed."

Charles kissed Diana and embraced her, he's lucky to have a woman like her by his side forever after they get married.

"I have to tell my mother you said yes, I'm sure she'll be thrilled her eldest son will finally marry." Charles said with a laugh.

"We have to tell my family also."

"Of course, we will arrange that."

...xxx...

Charles called his mother, queen Elizabeth that he finally proposed to Diana and that she accepted his proposal. Elizabeth was delighted for she liked Diana for Charles when she got to know her.

"Have you told her family the good news?" Elizabeth asked.

"Soon, we will go to Althorp and announce our engagement to her family there."

"How about her engagement ring, when will she choose her ring?"

"Soon. We still have to express our intent to marry to the privy council before I let her choose her ring."

"Congratulations son, I am proud of you."

...xxx...

The following morning Charles and Diana went to Althorp to announce to her family their engagement. Diana's mother begged prince Charles to hold off the announcement of their marriage until they return from Australia that they planned already before he proposed.

Charles agreed and told Diana to also take the time to think if she's really certain that she wanted to marry him. In which Diana told him only death will prevent me from marrying you.

...xxx....

After they left Althorp, they went to the privy council to announce their engagement and receive queen Elizabeth's blessing of their engagement. They posed for photos after receiving the queen's blessing that was to be kept hidden until Charles and Diana officially announces their engagement.

The queen questioned his son why he wanted hold off the announcement and Charles answered her that he wanted Diana to enjoy her privacy and freedom with her mother on their trip to Australia and will announce their engagement after Diana returns.

...xxx...

Charles had been busy with his work while Diana was in Australia, he even had a hard time calling her there because of the different time zones and strictness of the hotel Diana and her mother checked in. They didn't even believed him when he said he was prince Charles and was not able to talk to her at all.

When Diana finally returned back to England, Charles asked his driver to drive her from the airport to Buckingham where he and queen Elizabeth are waiting.

Diana was surprised to be called to Buckingham by Charles and the queen when she just arrived at the airport, despite feeling jet lagged and tired from the long flight she did her best to be presentable on such short notice and not disappoint her fiance and the queen.

Charles welcomed Diana to Buckingham when she arrived and led her to a room where the queen and royal jeweller was waiting.

Diana nervously curtsied at the queen.

"Diana I am sure you are aware that Charles haven't given you an engagement ring yet. It is our tradition for the future bride to choose her own engagement ring." Queen Elizabeth said and called the royal jeweller.

The royal jeweller opened an ornate briefcase with expensive rings of different styles that even Diana was surprised with what she saw.

Charles looked at Diana wondering if she will choose the ring he chose for her.

Diana looked at every ring and all of them are beautiful, extravagant and royal but only one ring caught her eye. It was a white gold ring with large Ceylon sapphire in the middle surrounded by fourteen solitaire diamonds.

With her hand shaking and heart pounding she picked the ring that caught her eye.

Elizabeth eyed her choice and thought, "I don't remember seeing that ring from the royal collection."  She looked at Charles who has a huge smile on his face.

Charles held Diana's hand and placed the ring on her left ring finger and kissed her hand in front of the queen causing Diana to blush furiously.

....xxx...

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. I am sorry if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes.