Chapter 2

Althorp,1978

Diana spent sometime with her father in Althorp after he suffered a stroke to take care of him. She almost decided to quit her studies and stay home to take care of her father full time but her father managed to recover from his stroke.

"Diana, I am happy to see you here with us again." Earl Spencer said weakly.

"I am papa and I will not leave you again." Diana said through tears.

"No, you promised me you will finish your studies. Do not worry too much about me, I am well now and my strength wil return sooner that you know. Raine, your elder sisters Sarah and Jane will be taking care of me here at home."

"Papa!" Diana cried to her father, she didn't want to leave him especially now but she made a promise to him and she will fulfill it.

London,1979

Diana finished her studies in Switzerland after two years as promised to her father. Her friends Carolyn, Anne and Virginia asked Diana to stay with them in London. She agreed immediately because living there meant she could live like a normal woman.

Diana's parents purchased her a flat in London she shared with her friends as a gift, it was Sarah who helped locate and secure the flat thanks to her connections in the real estate where she works.

Diana quickly settelled in by working as  a preschool teacher helper and governess of an American child, she also helps Sarah clean her own flat. Although the pay was low, she loved what she was doing because it involved interacting with children and cleaning which was one of her favourite past time.

"I know papa granted you your freedom to make your own decisions, but I didn't expect you to live like this." Sarah said with a sigh, after Diana was done cleaning her flat.

"Live like an ordinary woman with low paying jobs? I love what I am doing, I have never been this happy and as my elder sister I want you to be happy for me." Diana explained with a smile.

Sarah conceaded, Diana can be stubborn when she wants to. "Fine but do visit our estate every now and then, papa misses you a lot."

"I will."

...xxx...

August 1979

Diana was asked by her father to attend the funeral of lord Mountbatten in his stead for he can't walk properly yet because of the stroke he suffered a year earlier.

Diana saw prince Charles again at the funeral who walked behind lord Mountbatten's coffin and noticed how sad and devastated he was. She wanted to walk with him so he will not be alone and offer him words of comfort after the funeral, but was not able to for the prince was busy at the service talking with members of his family and friends while she's just a stranger.

...xxx...

Philip de Pass's house, Summer of 1980

"I'm glad you are able to come Diana." Philip de Pass greeted when she saw Diana arrive at his house.

"Of course, I am free this weekend besides I miss hanging out with our friends." Diana replied.

"How about you join our friends inside, I am sure they are all excited to see you again. My servants will carry your things to your room." Philip accompanied Diana inside his house where their other friends are.

Diana talked and rekindled with her friends she barely saw since she moved to London. While talking and laughing with her friends, everyone went silent when prince Charles arrived.