Chapter 4

London 1980, a week before Diana's bithday

After his talk with Camilla, Charles never felt more relieved in his life and now he can focus on his desire to court lady Diana Frances Spencer properly.

"Is everything in order?" Charles asked his private secretary.

"Yes your royal highness, I have called the director of Young England Kindergarten today and he said everything is set."

"Great, now I must prepare for my public engagement for the day and be done with it so I can proceed with my plan tonight." Charles said with an energy his private secretary never saw before.

...xxx...

"Hello Diana, it is me the director of Young England Kindergarten. I am sorry for calling you when you already got home from work. I was wondering if you can drop by the school and prepare a speech for me? We have important guests tomorrow who will be giving donations and you live the nearest to the school that's why I called you."

"Yes Mr. Director, I will be going to the school now."

"Thank you Ms. Diana. I notified the security guard already that you will be arriving soon."

...xxx...

Charles was already inside a classroom in Young England Kindergarten pacing back and forth waiting for Diana to come.

"I courted and asked women before to be my girlfriend but why am I feeling nervous? Am I afraid Diana will reject me?" Charles thought to himself.

When Diana arrived at the school, the guard led her to the classroom where Charles was waiting.

Diana opened the door of the classroom surprised to see prince Charles inside.

"Your royal highness!" Diana exclaimed and curtsied but Charles stopped her.

"You don't have to be so formal with me Diana, we are alone here."

Diana nodded and smiled her beautiful smile. "I'm sorry, it has been a while since we saw each other that I am surprised to see you here."

"I know and I am sorry but I have been busy serving the country that I was not able to see you again after the party. Diana the reason why I wanted to surprise and meet you here is because I want to greet you in advance for your birthday and I want to ask you a question I have been dying to ask ever since I personally got to know you." Charles said and reached for Diana's hand.

Diana felt her heartbeat quicken when he held her hand. She liked Charles a lot after she got to know him more through their conversations over the phone and she missed him holding her after their last encounter.

"Diana, I know you will not believe me with what I am about to say because of my history with women, but believe me when I say that I like you and I would like you to be my girlfriend." Charles said with a hopefull smile on his face.

"Charles...I am honored to be asked by you to be your girlfriend, I like you too and yes I would like to be your girlfriend." Diana said smiling sweetly to Charles.

"Really?" Charles embraced Diana in his arms. "You don't know how happy you make me feel right now Diana."

Diana embraced him back, "I am happy too as well. I didn't expect this to happen, that you will like me the way that I like you."

"Would you like to go with me on my younger brother's yacht and have dinner with me to celebrate our relationship and your birthday in advance?"

Diana nodded shyly and Charles held her hand as they walked towards his car parked at the back of the school where his driver was waiting to drive them to where the royal yacht was docked. Throughout the ride Charles held Diana's hand in his while they talked.

...xxx...

When they reached the royal yacht Charles led Diana to a room inside and asked her to wear the dress he bought for her. After leaving Diana alone to change, Charles also changed his suit in his room before coming back to get her.

Charles knocked and called for her, "Are you ready?"

"Yes." Diana slowly opened her door and smiled.

"You are beautiful Diana. I am glad the dress I chose for you fits you perfectly." He said and kissed her hand before he offered his arm to her.

...xxx...

A band aboard the royal yacht welcomed Charles and Diana at the dinning room with a song. The chef aboard the yacht prepared Charles' favourite food for the couple to share.

"Do you like the food?" Charles asked, he noticed Diana did not eat a lot of her food.

"Yes. It is delicious." Diana answered, the food was really delicious she was just not able to eat a lot because she was still processing what was happening to her that evening.

"Are you sure? I noticed you barely touched your food. If you don't like the food served, I can tell the chef to prepare a different food for you." Charles was worried Diana did not like her food and he did not want to disappoint her since this is their first dinner date together.

"No need, the food was really delicious and I liked it. I was just not able to eat a lot because I am still processing what is happening to me. This morning I woke up and went to work like always, and come evening the crown prince of England asked me to be his girlfriend and have dinner date with him on the royal yacht."

"Oh..." Charles smiled this is what he liked about Diana, her honesty. "How about a dance? I believe I haven't asked you to dance with me before."

Diana agreed she always loved to dance and will dance whenever there is an opportunity. But this time she will be dancing with the crown prince her first boyfriend and that thought alone made her feel nervous inside.

"I hope I will not make any mistakes while dancing with him." Diana thought and danced with Charles.

Charles and Diana danced together through the beautiful melodies played by the band until both were exhausted from too much dancing.

...xxx...

They are now at the bow of the yacht looking at the lights across the dock. Charles' have his arms tightly wrapped around Diana, her head leaning on his chest.

"I have something to tell you. Being my girlfriend will not be easy, once the media learns about us they will follow you anywhere you go and will monitor whatever you are doing. I want to keep you away from them if I could but as this country's crown prince they have always been at my toes and being involved with me will make you their target as well." Charles explained.

Being his girlfriend was not easy and many of his past relationships failed because of the media and he did not want to fail his relationship with Diana. That is why he is tellng her this in advance so she could prepare herself when the time comes that their relationship goes out in public.

"When I said yes to you it meant that I understand that I will always be by your side as your girlfriend and support you. If it meant sharing my life to the public and media then so be it, with you by my side I am sure I can do it Charles."

"I am glad you understood what it means to be my girlfriend Diana. I was not wrong to court and ask you to be mine. The moment when you comforted me through my sadness despite not knowing me personally, I knew you are the one I have been looking for so long. I will fight for you Diana, for us, for wherever this relationship of ours will take us."

Diana turned to the look into the eyes of the prince and saw he meant every word he said to her and felt the tears of joy in her eyes.

Charles wiped the tears in Diana's eyes with his thumbs and kissed her eyes before kissing her properly on the lips. This time he kissed her slowly savouring the sweet taste of her lips on his.

....xxx...

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. I am sorry if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes.