Chapter 9

Buckingham Palace, February 1981

"Your engagement to Prince Charles will be announced in 3 days. You are to stay in Clarence House starting on February 23rd until your wedding date. Enjoy your freedom while you still can, because the eyes of the world will be on you after your engagement is announced." The private secretary of Charles announced to Diana.

Diana listened well and took note of the date she will move to Clarence House.

"You will be trained in Clarence House about proper etiquette and protocol about becoming princess of Wales before the marriage."

Charles entered his private secretary's office and placed his hands on his fiance's shoulders and whispered on her ear. "Relax you can do this, I will be by your side and guide you myself."

Diana smiled at him, she's glad Charles will support her and not leave her alone to cope with becoming a royal by herself.

...xxx...

When Diana returned to her flat at night, she told her friends about her engagement to Charles and trusted them to keep it a secret until the official announcement. To celebrate her engagement they all laughed while they drove around London.

...xxx...

Buckingham Palace, February 24, 1981

Early that morning, Buckingham Palace announced the engagement of prince Charles Philip Arthur George and lady Diana Frances Spencer. After their engagement was announced, the people of England rejoiced for they all love Diana for prince Charles.

"Are you nervous?" Charles asked Diana, today is the day they will be interviewed about their engagement.

"Yes very." Diana answered honestly.

"Don't be I will be there for you. After this we will be at Balmoral for more engegment photos and have some privacy from the press." Charles smiled and held her hands.

Charles and Diana posed for their engagement photos in Buckingham palace before they were interviewed by the royal press.

Their interview went smoothly with Charles always holding Diana's hands to make her feel calm and relaxed during the interview.

They were asked how they met, how prince Charles proposed, if Diana can cook, why they hold off announcing the engagement, when is the wedding, what the engagement ring looked like and finally if they love each other in which they both replied with confidence their yes.

During their photo shoot in Balmoral, Diana became more relaxed with the press.

...xxx...

In between her trainings in Clarence House, Charles invited Diana to join him on some of his public engagements and sometimes she would join the royal family during gala nights or when they would watch an opera or movie premier. Charles would do his best to spend time with Diana as much as he can despite his busy schedule.

...xxx...

Buckingham Palace

"You can't be serious." Charles exclaimed after his private secretary handed out his scheduled foreign assignments.

"The queen insists your royal highness, she said the schedule was done even before you planned your wedding date." His secretary explained.

"But Diana's birthday and our wedding is next month! What about the wedding rehearsal?" Charles wanted his wedding to be perfect, since the wedding was already dubbed as wedding of the century by the people and media and he wanted to spend Diana's birthday with her.

"I'm sorry your royal highness but you can't delay your foreign assignments. You will have your wedding rehearsal when you return to England and 2 days before the wedding." His secretary answered when he checked on his copy of the prince's schedule.

Charles sighed, he will surely miss Diana when he's away for five weeks before their wedding.

...xxx...

Charles discussed to Diana about his foreign assignment before their wedding and to forgive him if he can't spend her birthday with him, and re assured her not to worry and miss him a lot while he's away.

"I will be back before you know it, I will call you as much as possible, you know I can't wait to marry you soon." Charles told Diana and kissed her on the cheeks before boarding the royal plane.

When the royal plane left, Diana can't help but cry for she will surely miss him while he's away, leaving her alone to deal with the royal family and how to be a royal herself.

...xxx...

St. Paul's Cathedral, July 1981

Charles did not waste any time hurrying to St. Paul's Cathedral for the first wedding rehearsal when he returned back to England. When he reached St. Paul's his family and Diana were already there waiting for him.

After their wedding rehearsal Charles and Diana had a private moment in his own room in Buckingham.

They were sitting in his bed talking about how they've been in the past five weeks.

Charles talked about his foreign engagements and the different cultures on the places he'd been and how he wished Diana was with him for she will surely enjoy those places.

Diana talked about the stress she's feeling from being isolated from everyone and learning how to be a royal on her own.

"Is that why you lost weight?" Charles asked when he noticed how her hand felt when he held it.

"Yes I want to be the perfect bride for you that I am stressing too much over it. I purge everything I ate during the day before going to sleep." Diana confessed and cried, she doesn't want to look weak in front of her fiance and worry Charles but she wanted to be honest to him about it.

Charles embraced her and let her cry at his shoulder, "I'm sorry you had to go through all of that alone. You should stop purging, it is unhealthy and I don't want you getting sick."

Diana nodded, "I won't do it again."

"That's good. I missed you so much Diana, being apart from you for 5 weeks is pure torture for me." Charles said and nuzzled Diana's neck.

Diana ran her fingers through his hair, she missed simple moments like this with Charles where they would lay together in bed locked in each other's arms.

....xxx...

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. I am sorry if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes.