Rue Rao Khoy Phob Kan

The sad part of being in love

Is when we let them go

Because we love them

-Them

- -

Team

"Ryu, don't go too far. Stay by the edge of the pool, okay?", Maae told me as I sat by the stairs of the pool.

We were at a resort for the summer. It was supposed to be a vacation for the whole family. I can see them gathered in a pavilion at a distance. They looked like they were enjoying their stay while I watched the other kids play in the water.

I didn't know how to swim, so I just sat on the edge of the pool while the water lapped on my torso as I held on to my red plastic ball. P'Pao was with the other kids playing tag in the water. He was older than me. Almost a teenager, that's why he seldom plays with me now. I just smiled, trying to share their happiness even though I wasn't a part of it.

"Kawabangga!", one of the bigger kids suddenly shouted the famous line from Ninja Turtles and jumped into the pool.

I like watching that cartoon, I remember. The kid's action sent big waves and the ball I was holding suddenly slipped from my grip. It floated away and bobbed at a distance. I didn't know the danger at that time as I stood up by the edge and looked at the water beneath me. I knew it was deeper beyond where I stand, but I was pretty confident that I'd be able to reach the ball that invited me to step further. It was enticing me to catch it. 

I smiled at the thought of the ball playing with me when the other older kids wouldn't

I smiled at the thought of the ball playing with me when the other older kids wouldn't. I was fine without them. I didn't seek their companionship. The ball was enough to keep me happy.

I stepped down the stairs and felt the water rise up to my waist. I was still okay. I took another step and it reached my chest. I started to feel panic but calmed myself down. I just had to stretch my arms and I could touch the ball already.

The ball kept on bobbing in front of me and I held my arms out to beckon it to come nearer. Before I realized it, the water pulled my tiny body forward and I felt myself float for a second. It felt unusually good. It seemed the water welcomed me and held me in an embrace.

Then I started to sink. The water started to drown the sounds from above as it engulfed my whole body. I held my breath and looked up to the brightness hovering above the pool. The ball was still floating out of my reach. I started to kick upwards to catch it but my body was weighing me down and I couldn't swim further no matter how I try.

I looked around to see if there was anyone else who could help me reach the ball but all I saw were feet and legs propelling their owners to the surface. They were like the ball, staying afloat and I tried to mimic the movement of their legs but it wasn't working for me.