The Fell

Fell – to make something fall..

-A Play of Words

- -

Win

I forgot that P'Wan was going to visit me before the Holiday Break but I didn't expect him to arrive a few weeks earlier. We were supposed to go home together just as Nong suggested. I stopped in the middle of my thoughts and started to realize bitterly. There was no Nong anymore.

I cursed myself silently when I began to feel the familiar heartbreak he had left me. I've tried hard to avoid him from crossing my mind but he finds ways even at the most simplest thing to be remembered. P'Wan's arrival wasn't helping at all and only reminded me more of Nong.

"I told you not to come here. I'm not going home with you.", I scolded my phi chay when I saw him by the doorway.

He just shrugged and closed the door behind him as he left his trolley next to it. After that fateful video call, I've decided not to go back to Thailand. I wasn't ready to face Team, yet. I'm not even sure if I'll be ready. Thailand is too small and too familiar for the both of us. Our friends are there and one way or the other we would inevitably bump into each other and they would definitely notice in an instant that something has changed between us since we used to be inseparable. I guess I wasn't ready to see their faces full of pity once they figure things out.

"How did you come in, anyway?", I asked him when I remembered that I didn't open the door for him.

Did I forget to lock the door?

I searched in my memory if I did. How could I forget to lock the door but not Nong? Wasn't self-preservation important to me anymore? The world never runs out of delinquents, you never know when they could strike or take an interest in making anyone their next victim. I was more prone to this risk since I'm a foreigner. If the law can merely protect their own citizens, how much more for a farang? Everyone's at a disadvantage not unless you're the one in power.

"Dtor-lair!", I cursed loudly this time.

"Arai wah? What bull shit are you talking about?", my brother looked around the floor.

He was such a comic at times. I would have laughed if I didn't feel shitty inside. I would've thrown a snarky comment too if I was in the mood, but I wasn't so I ignored him.

"I don't think you can hide a bull in here, Nong. Not even the shit, since it would smell badly.", he sniffed around still looking for the non-existent dung.

"Go home, Phi.", I told him and I went back to bed to catch some sleep that became rare after the spiteful call from Nong Team.

"Ahw. There is definitely shit around. When was the last time you have washed the dishes?", he asked as he checked the sink.