Hunter Exam - Chapter 1

"Hey Lizzy!"

I heard my older sister, Lynn, calling me from behind. I turned my head around and saw her running to me with a grin stuck to her face. I smiled back and giggled. Her brown hair moved along with the wind, making her the prettiest girl around Pharage. Her cool blue eyes shone in the sunlight as she waves to me. They reminded me of my mother's, which made me uncomfortable from the thought of her being murdered in front of all the people in Yorknew along with my father. I shook it aside and happily went to her.

"What is it?" I answered back. Lynn just gave me a closed-eyed smile before speaking.

"Check out this cool necklace that Grandma Millie made! It's super shiny and it's made from beautiful stones she found years ago. Come on! You will love it!" She motioned for me to come with her, and I cheerfully nodded.

The two of us ran to our house, the wind blowing on our faces and hair, moving beautifully. When we got inside, we saw Grandma Millie with a gold and silver necklace in her hands, a smile plastered on her face.

"Hi my dears. I hope you like it. It's made with my favorite type of stones that I found when I was in my 40s. I've made two for each of you to keep." She handed us the necklaces, their brightness was what amazed me the most. I put it on around my neck and admired how precious it looked on me.

"Thank you so much Grandma Millie. I love it." I said, looking down at my necklace.

She chuckled and pointed at it. "Do not lose it. It's the most precious thing I have ever made for you two. You don't want any criminals going after it."

I looked at Lynn and saw that she had the necklace on as well.

"You look great." I complimented her. Her head faced me, and she grew a smile.

"Thanks. You are pretty with that on." I slightly blushed from her compliment and giggled.

"Thank you Lynn."

We went back outside and into the field we used to play in when we moved in with Grandma Millie a couple years ago. It sure felt good to sit back and forget all the horrible memories with my parents.

I ran around on the green grass, playing tag with my only older sister. My feet moved quickly to get away from her, as she was quickly catching up to me. She smirked and tackled me to the ground.

"Hey! What was that for?" I asked with an irritated voice.

"Looks like you weren't fast enough to get away from me." She gave me a cocky smile, and a tick mark appeared on the side of my head.

"Why you–that's cheating!"

"Well, maybe you should do better to improve your speed and endurance!"

"My speed is good enough to catch a rabbit and maybe a butterfly. But still, that's considered cheating!" My cheeks puffed up as I complained.

"I guess you're it now. Good luck catching me!" With that said, she got up and ran away from me, snickering. I chased her around with everything I had, but I couldn't reach her. My legs were getting tired and I was sweating a lot. I took sharp breaths to keep up my stamina.

With Lynn's greater physical strength, she could be at an advantage when enemies tried to get the best of her. One time when we were out at night, a man dressed in black was harassing me, and she came to my rescue. She gave him a cold glare before slapping his face, grabbing my wrist, and running away.

I was petrified, and kinda excited too. I wanted to hit him back but I couldn't with his intimidating looks. I wanted to feel good defending myself. For the first time, I could feel the excitement in times of danger.