Staying Distracted

Start from the beginning

The three talked for another hour and Emma dropped off a couple of sandwiches for him. While they talked, Ted and Max dropped off the jeep and walked to the back patio door to wave. It was so dark inside that they didn't see Adam's eyes.

With everyone now gone, Adam returned to his Mate and the pups found their spots for the night. Just as he was about to doze off his phone rang. By the ring tone he knew it was his dad.

"Hey dad."

"Holy shit Adam, I saw the news, how is she?"

"Fuck...it's on the news?!"

"Yeah, but luckily the cops blocked whoever was recording stuff from getting Xael's face but I can tell it was her from the plain clothes officers."

"Plain clothes officers?"

"Max, Max I forget what his last name was, but he's Native."

"Oh, okay yeah. They're my friends. I'm glad they were there. How much did they show?"

"Not much, whoever the older people were had Xael shielded. They did show the body but it was covered."

"Thank god, that's all we need is her face plastered everywhere."

"So what happened?"

"It was her ex. According to Ms. Emma, Xael tried to walk away from him numerous times but he wouldn't let her. She attacked him after he charged Skylar. Once he stabbed her she went...feral I guess you could say. She snapped his neck."

"Damn. A female capable of that level of violence only happens if she's protecting her young."

"That's what Skylar and Grams said. I can't explain it dad, all I know is that she's safe and at home."

"That's the most important thing. Well they didn't release her name so there's that."

"Thank god."

"Well I'm going to let you go so you can lay with her. Just wanted to make sure you two were okay."

"Thanks dad. I'll call you tomorrow."

Now to get some rest.

Sunday morning, Xael's ears were gone and she seemed to be doing much better. She was the first one up and had showered again and dressed. Xael didn't want to sit around the house because she knew all she would do was think about what had happened. She needed to distract herself, at least for the day. Pups fed, they were quietly let outside. As she stood at the patio door, she called her Grams. It was almost 7am so she should be up.

"Grammy?"

"Oh Xael dear, you need to be resting! How are you doing?"

"Much better. I don't want to lay around anymore, I need to get up and keep busy. If I don't I'll just think about it more and more."

With a heavy sigh, Grams couldn't argue with her. She was the same way. Instead of dwelling on things she needed to occupy her mind.

"Did everything get unloaded at the diner for canning?"

"Yes, we're headed there now. Wes is going with Houser back to the city to get a couch and new fridge."

"Okay, we'll meet you there. The dinner is still closed right?"

"Yes, so you can bring the pups."

"Okay, love you and see you soon."

"Love you to little pup."

Ending the call, Adam wrapped her in his arms and softly kissed her shoulder.

"You need anything today, you link me understand?"

Xael turned around to give him a proper hug. "Yeah. I just need to keep busy."

Adam went back to the bedroom to get dressed and Xael took things out of her jeep that was for the cabin. Adam came out to help her put the rear seat back in and they loaded up the pups along with toys, and food bowls. It was going to be a long day at the diner for all of them.

The drive into town was a quiet one, Xael rested against her Alpha as the pups chilled out in the back seat. Chris and Eli were supposed to be finishing up with painting the station today. Xael told him that they should all come to the diner for breakfast. He had to admit he was hungry also. Skylar's truck was already there and Houser's car was next to it. Pulling up to the diner, Chris and Eli were making their way across the street. The town was still asleep so Xael sat the pups on the ground, they both took off over to the two Alphas, each picking one of them up.

"Hey Sis." Chris was a little hesitant to get too close to her but Xael solved that by approaching them first and giving each of them a hug. Tank groaned at being squeezed. She didn't say anything, just hugged them. They had helped her get away from Trevor the first time.

"Let's go eat." Xael looked at them with a weak smile. All the young ones walked in together, coffee was already going as the Elders sat in their booth. Tank and Dozer went over for pets and Xael gave everyone hugs.

"You going to okay today Pup?"

"Yeah, I just need to keep busy." Xael went off to make everyone something to eat, her Grams joined her to keep a close eye on her.

The two prepared things for their canning session. They still needed to go over to the next town to get meat and lard. Adam quickly shot that down and Skylar said he and Houser would go after breakfast.  Xael didn't even argue as Emma made a list of what all they wanted. Xael gave them money for everything and refused to let her Grams pay for any of it. Xael made sure they got meat scraps for the pups, she would cut it with rice and some veggies.

Breakfast done, Adam took the pups out behind the dinner, he noticed things had been readied for a trailer. Bringing them back inside, Xael had placed their bed under one of the booths and the two furballs hopped right in and laid down. Adam could tell they were about to grow again, all they wanted to do is sleep.

With Skylar and Houser headed to the butcher in Sha'Hamish, Xael and her Grams busied themselves with starting the canning session. Xael had been pretty quiet but no one was surprised.  With the two of them alone, Xael relaxed a little.

"Grams?"

"Yes dear."

"Is it bad that I'm relieved Trevor's dead?"

"No. I don't think so. It's hell living in fear of someone."

"Thanks Grammy. It's part of the reason I never went to the city alone, I was always afraid I'd run into him." Xael paused and looked away. "I didn't mean to kill him, it's just...I don't know what happened. When I saw that knife sticking out of me, I just snapped."

"Xael, stop dear. You were protecting yourself, dont' you dare feel guilty for that. Ever."

Xael gave her Grams a huge hug and Adam picked up on her emotions.

'Babe?'

'I'm fine, just venting.'