CHAPTER FORTY SIX: LOVING

Start from the beginning

"And you chose to believe it?" Tessa seemed surprised. "So quickly?"

Gideon's lips formed a flat line as his eyes drifted toward the window. "Father's story about mother's death never made sense to me. This made sense."

Marie assumed that was when her world turned upside down. Gideon had learned about the truth before they engaged in a heated conversation while Gabriel was left to find it out in the middle of a fight. While Marie couldn't even begin to comprehend how Gideon felt, she knew that Gabriel was feeling at least ten times worse. He was abandoned; left behind to seek comfort in the company of a heartless bastard that was his father.

Marie wanted to scream at the top of her lungs. She had wanted to stop the carriage, push everyone aside and run back toward the Lightwoods' house in Pimlico. Then, she would be able to squeeze the life out of Gabriel and drag him to the Institute where he would be safe and sound, away from the awry hands of his father.

"Hey," Will whispered in her ear. "He'll be fine, you know?"

Marie said nothing, but deep down, she had appreciated the comfort Will was offering. His happiness shone brightly, his body finding it impossible to sit still.

"Oh, come on," Will uttered and, although Marie wasn't looking at him, she knew he had rolled his eyes. "I've given Gabriel enough praise today. He's reached his daily limit."

Marie chuckled lightly, feeling the carriage stopping. They had reached the Institute, one by one exiting the carriage. Marie was the last one to hit the ground, having accepted Will's hand.

The rain was barely drizzling, creating a complete opposite of the thunderous sky from the particular morning. Marie lifted her head up, allowing the small droplets to kiss her skin.

"Celine," the brunette felt the Herondale boy tugging at her hand, pulling her lightly toward him. "Come with me."

His face was graced with a lovely, heartwarming smile. Such a sight made Marie's chest become warm and fuzzy.

She couldn't say no to him, even if she tried. So, without much thinking, she allowed Will to guide her inside the Institute.

"Aren't we going to go after them?" Marie questioned, eyebrows furrowing as she noticed Will was taking them in the opposite direction of Charlotte, Gideon and Tessa.

"Well, unless you want to listen to Charlotte giving a lengthy lesson to Gideon or intrude on Tessa and James," Will looked over his shoulder, squinching his eyes. "Right! Did you know James proposed to Tessa?"

Marie laughed at Will's silliness, giving him a firm nod.

"That's not even the best thing," Will proceeded as they climbed the stairs. "Can you believe that Tessa said yes?"

"What's unbelievable about that, Will?" Marie questioned. "They're in love."

"Whatever," he rounded the corner. "I can't wait to tell Jem about our meeting. He'll never believe that scene - for Gideon to turn on his father like that! It's one thing to tell secrets to Sophie, another to renounce your whole allegiance to your family. Yet he cast away his family ring."

"Let me repeat myself once again," Marie shook her head. "They're in love. Gideon's in love with Sophie and people who are in love sometimes do inexplicable things."

Will looked at Marie like she was a religious icon he was keen on worshiping. A wide, childish grin decorated his lips. He had never smiled like that before. "So, something like me?"

Before Marie could utter a retort, she was pulled into Will's room. The door behind them was locked in an instant, a witchlight burning lowly.

Marie unbuttoned her cape, setting it on Will's bed. "Do you plan on murdering me, Herondale?" She chuckled, taking out the pin that gathered her hair. "Because if you are-"