two

R I V E R

I wasn't scared by Lilian, far from it. She wasn't intimidating nor creepy by any aspects but what she said to me on the bus played on my mind all day.

"you're easy to read" It made me shiver the way she said it, eerie but sweet. Was that even an emotion?

It made me jumpy, i had no idea why but it made me jumpy. My shift got taken over by my sister Gemma halfway through.

She said i needed to go home and sleep, maybe that's all it was. I was sleep deprived and that's why i was so jumpy and resilient to let go what Lilian said to me on the bus.

I ignored my roommates, Oscar and Nathan when i got home around 6pm and went straight to bed sleeping the whole night through to 10am.

I was supposed to get into work at 6am, i'm sure my mum and Gemma will understand thought, with how jumpy i was yesterday and Gemma even noticed.

If anything i'll play it off as that.

I caught the normal bus to work meaning i didn't see Lilian. When i finally got to work my mum raised her voice a little at me for being four hours late but i let her and my sister take my card and told them to have a longer lunch and she quickly forgave me.

I was sat on my phone leaning on the counter, normally lunch time was less busy so when the ball rang i kept my head down looking at my phone until i got creeped out by the silence and quickly looked up.

The girl was looking at me and when we caught eye contact she groaned.

"Nice to see you two" I smiled as i slid my phone in my jean pocket and stood up pushing the stool under the counter.

"Of course you work in a flower shop" Lilian said as she continued looking at all the flowers.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked and she looked towards me again.

"You have that" She motioned to me "Aura"

"Flattering" I fake smiled "I have some black roses if you want those" I joked and she gave me a sarcastic smile.

"Should've known you were funny" She mumbled as she came up to the counter "I'm gonna pretend i don't know you when i do this"

Oh god.

I cleared my throat and stood up straight "Okay..."

"I um-fuck. Best flowers for a grave?" She said as she looked at the ground avoiding eye contact.

"I mean there's no specifics, what type of flowers do you wanna put on a grave?" i asked professionally.

" Uh- lilies?" She responded but it sounded more like a question.

"Narcissistic" I mumbled and her head snapped up to look at me.

"Fuck off" She hissed and her face softened "You got any?"

"Y-Yeah of course i do" I mumbled and swallowed the lump in my throat "Give me a sec"

I gathered a variety of colours and tied them together quickly, walking back out to the front of the shop and handing them to Lilian who smiled at me.

She quickly stuffed her hands into her pockets to, i assume find her money but i shook my head with a small smile.

"On the house" I said and her hands froze, she looked up at me.

"River-" i cut her off

"Seriously Lilian, i like you. On the house" I said and she smiled at me, genuinely smiled at me. "Any chance i could get your number in return though"

She let out a little chuckle "Good one, unlucky for you i don't own a phone"

My face dropped in shock, everyone had a phone right? it's the 21st century everyone had to own a phone.

"Are you using that as an excuse to-"

"I genuinely don't have a phone" She said and her face lit up quickly like she had a genius idea "Meet me"

"That's not gonna be easy if you don't own a phone" I mumbled and she hushed me.

"In the centre of town, right outside the train station, next to the green"

"What time?"

"Surprise me" She said as she walked away and outside of the shop.

How is that gonna possibly work.