17 - resign pt 2

A game where I knew I won.

info
- nate x fem reader
- 1st person
- multiple characters' perspectives
- euphoria x the queen's gambit au! where there's euphoria characters incorporated in the queen's gambit. maddy is jolene, rue is townes, lexi is bobby, cassie is harry, and kat and ethan are matt and mike
- continuation of pt 1 - the match against y/l/n vs Jacobs, simulating harmon vs borgov
- y/l/n - your last name

ofc another spoiler alert :)

____

y/n's pov

with the king in a defensive position, my eyes darted throughout the board, looking for any sudden errors as my fingers let go of my piece. my shoulders slightly rested and my stature became relaxed. i met my eyes with nate's for what felt like the last time i ever will. his eyes didn't look as dark as before. instead, his eyes seemingly twinkled under the light, reflecting his features. there were slight dimples appearing beside his lips, a sight i've never seen before but i found rather assuring.

his eyes blinked twice, still staring at my face. i felt my eyes batter slightly, staring back into his. for some reason, i began to sense a burning passion in his eyes. a passion that one would feel perhaps when they've won. but this passion seemed to reflect towards me and my figure, sitting here moving the final piece on the board.

"it's your game." nate opened his mouth and broke the silence, voice echoing against the stone walls of the theater. the eager spectators sat at the edge of their seats, the announcer now speechless. nate looked down at his king and put it in his hands, slowly outstretching his hand and holding the piece towards me. "take it." those two words made my heart almost drop. i looked at him as we both exchanged slowly growing smiles on our lips. i placed my hand within his, our fingers intertwining over the king.

and just like that, the audience stood up for a grand standing ovation. nate helped me stand up, our hands still holding on. we finally let go and he quickly put his piece down to clap for me. i looked around the room and made eye contact with rue. she had a very big, proud smile on her face while she cheered with the audience. i knew wholeheartedly that i would win and i finally achieved a passing of the game of my life.

—sequence of friend's reactions—

lexi's pov

the phone rang pretty early in the morning. everyone was anxious to hear from the world championships if our y/n finally beat nate.

cassie and i walked out from our kitchen and towards the phone, the ringing getting louder with each step. kat and ethan slowly stood up from the sofa, their eyes darting from the phone back to our figures.

the ringing didn't go on for so long once i decided to reach over the table and place the telephone in my hand with a firm grip. pressing the telephone up to my ear with eagerness, i listened for the other line. "hello?" "is this lexi howard?" a stern voice answered. "yes, it's me." "this is the management office of the world chess championship."

cassie took very gentle steps towards me, trying to figure out what the conversation was. there was a moment of silence as i listened into the phone and heard the words we've been waiting for.

i turned towards cassie, holding her attention. i gave her a small signal, pointing towards the chessboard on the coffee table and nodding at her. immediately, i saw a small gasp which blossomed into a smile on her face, her cheeks turning a slight shade of red from the excited tugging playing at the corners of her lips.

she whipped her head back at kat and ethan who were already looking at her and exclaimed the one and only phrase, "SHE WON!" i turned around to see kat, ethan, and cassie all screaming and cheering while jumping around the room. "SHE DID IT!" ethan screamed out. i chuckled and apologized over the phone for the loudness, having a big grin plastered on my face as well.

maddy's pov

M- alright. thank you very much.

other line- yes, no problem. have a nice day.

M- you too.

i put the phone back as the call ended. i relaxed in my chair, crossing my legs and playing with my nails before sighing with content. i let my body rest into the chair and slightly spill down.

leaning my head against the top of the chair, my messy bun brushing up against the fabric and the back of my neck, i began to stare up at the ceiling. i slowly let a proud grin adorn my face as i lightly chuckled to myself.

"good for you, y/n. good for you."

____

the next day

y/n's pov

i looked at my bags once more, finishing up packing. i had a flight to catch back to america. defeating nate last night felt like a blur going by but not one of those moments where you feel like you'd forget it. definitely not. i was told phone calls were sent back to my friends across america and i wonder what their reactions were. now that i won, i can pay maddy back.

as i laid in bed and read a magazine, the silence of the room went away as the phone rang. i got up at waited, hearing the ringing immediately stop. my guard in the room next to me has a line connected to my telephone, answering my calls for me for safety purposes.

within a few passing moments, my guard knocked on my door. i opened it and let him speak, "hey, so um.. jacobs wants to talk to you. he offered you something and he's waiting on the line." i turned towards my phone and tilted my head in curiosity. what could he possibly want from me? "you can pick up the phone and answer it." i looked back at my guard and nodded at him, watching him turn to walk away as i closed my door.

i skipped over to the telephone on the desk and picked it up, pressing it to my ear. "hello? this is y/n y/l/n." "hi. i was trying to find you." i heard nate's deep, almost breathy voice answer on the other end.

Y- oh really? what for?

N- well, i was wondering if you wanted to get breakfast soon. don't worry i'm not asking for a whole lot of your time. i know you have a flight at noon so i don't want to disturb your schedule but it would be nice to dine with you on your last day here in moscow.

i heard him lightly rubbing at the fabric of his clothes as he spoke. i had no clue why but i felt a ping of happiness and a smile immediately make its way across my face.

Y- yes. i would love to.

he chuckled.

N- it's an honor, y/l/n. thank you.

Y- of course. where will we be going?

N- oh it's a small cafe. it's only a five minute walk away from the hotel we're staying at. what time do you want me to pick you up?

i thought for a moment, looking around the bedroom.

Y- what about.. in 20 minutes, if you don't mind?

N- that's perfect. i'll see you soon, y/l/n.

Y- see you.

with that, the call ended and i could've sworn i could hear him smiling through the phone with the little scoffs he made here and there. i found it pretty cute.

i put the telephone back and waited until the time came about, which was pretty short in itself. before i knew it, my eyes darted to my door upon hearing knocks. i carefully leapt up from my bed and smoothed out my clothes before unlocking the door and being met with nate's face.

his jawline was sharp and his expression was still clear. he looked down at me and gave me a gentle smile. "hi y/l/n. shall we get going?" i smiled back and nodded.

[word count]: 1379