1 - late night music // chris mckay

You walked out of the elevator at a pretty brisk pace, wanting to get to your apartment

You walked out of the elevator at a pretty brisk pace, wanting to get to your apartment. After a long day with the sun now down and the stars aligned against the dark wall of the universe, the absence of light and high energy that was absorbed made you want to dip your face in a pillow and fall asleep.

Your feet were the only ones quietly shuffling against the wood floor, traversing down the halls as moonlight peaked through the windows, making way for your descent to your room. Stopping at your desired door, you carefully took out your apartment keys from your purse and as if on command, the doorknob fiddled until it opened to reveal a welcoming face of your roommate.

"Hey, there you are." Chris' voice was a bit softer, his words almost croaking out. I could tell he was tired too. I returned his smile and slightly chuckled at his state as he lightly yawned and rubbed his eyes. He stepped to the side, opening the door and revealing the darkness of the living room. You walked inside and did your thing to get ready to go to bed, immediately going to the bedroom.

After getting dressed into comfy clothes, you plopped back on your bed and went on your phone, putting airpods in your ears and deciding to listen to music. As sweet melodies and unrequited lyrics played through your ears, you put your phone beside you and laid on your stomach, your head now at the foot of the bed.

You turned your body to face the window in your room, looking outside. Music continued playing in your ears, eyes fixated on the many rooftops of the apartments nearby, the city lights, some random graffiti on the sides of buildings, and the stars, admiring the landscape in front of you.

You felt a pair of hands poke at your waist, making you jump. You immediately look back and see Chris laughing at you. Shaking your head with a smile on your face, you lightly kicked him away. He started shuffling towards the window and closing the curtains in. You subconsciously wished the cityscape goodbye, letting the music ring clearer throughout your mind.

Still having your head at the foot of the bed, you turn back over to lay on your back and look at the ceiling, seeing the ceiling color change as the fairy lights start lighting up the room softly. Chris got comfortable laying next to you. As he looked at your distracted state, he noticed the airpods in your ear and nudged your side. You looked over to him with a soft smile and grabbed your phone, lowering the volume of the music. "Yes?" "May I have a listen?"

You nodded silently and handed Chris one of your airpods. He put it in his ear and you began to turn up the volume to the song once more. Your playlist blasted louder than before. When you were looking at the landscape before, your mind was drowned within serenity and thoughts. But now your mind seemed to focus on the sound and feeling of gentle rhythm, your thoughts seemingly lowering and fading away like volume and a withering flower.

You and Chris stayed like that for a while. The night time allowed for doors to open into a potent conscious and dream-like states, therefore deepening the connection with music. Both of you continued to stare up at the ceiling, stargazing at a blank wallpaper. All you could feel was your brain and heart ascending, subconsciously dancing throughout the space within your ears, continuing to resonate with the sound and lyrics of the music playing from your phone.

It was as if you were on a small high, feeling like you were floating and on top of the world when in reality you're not. The music made you feel like you weren't boxed in a small room laying next to someone. It made you feel like you were in a safer place without a body or a mind but instead an explicit plane of carefree and safety. It was a warm hug. It was a stanza of words that were there for you when no one else wasn't.

Despite tiredness still lingering in the air, Chris' presence next to you only made the two of you want to listen even more. You both briefly turned your heads towards each other and with smiles playing across your lips. "This is a good song." Chris stated.

a/n: well that's a wrap for my first imagine! this is actually based off of some real events *satisfactory* and also i noticed that i've been low key listening to new music at night time and i just wanted to kinda write those feelings down. honestly, doing anything at night hits different ngl
image credits: https://pin.it/HZGrzN7
[word count]: 815