20 - composite artistry pt 1

" can you draw her for me? "

info
- rue x reader
- 1st person
- y/n's pov
- you're friends with rue
- an au where you're going to college for art and trying to become a composite artist (aka a police or forensic sketch artist. a sketch artist who draws facial features based off of descriptive details. usually used to solve criminal cases and get the jist of what the suspect may look like)
- a bit of angst as rue talks about her situation with jules
- music that fits the vibe: holding on by iann dior

As I took the key out of the ignition and the humming of my car's engine vanished, I looked over to rue sitting in the passenger seat. she immediately met my gaze and we both exchanged small smiles.

"let's eat. i'm hungry." rue stated, making me nod in response. we gathered our things and stepped out of the car, the warmth of the sunset lightly tingling at my skin. rue and i decided to hang out for a while during the day and now night is about to come around, but of course, we were still hungry, agreeing to go to our favorite diner for dinner. {a/n: just saying, this is the diner from the most recent special episode from euphoria that rue and ali went to}

we got a booth towards the left side of the room upon entering. the booth we chose hugged at the front windows of the diner, giving us a view of the parking lot. there was a comfortable silence as we both sat down and stretched out, relaxing and being in our own thoughts.

i decided to take out my sketchbook and some art supplies and get ready to draw. i stared down at the blank page i turned to and then looked away out the window and up at the sky, thinking about what i should draw. i've been sketching 3D objects for art class but i knew an anatomy lesson was coming soon and that was my strong suit. i needed to start practicing composite artistry.

rue caught my attention by lightly kicking my ankle and saying, "hey. what are you thinking of drawing?" i simply shrugged my shoulders. "i'm not sure yet. but i definitely wanna draw a person." rue smiled and nodded. "i've been noticing you're getting bored with all the shapes and lines and shit. you want to draw people." i chuckled. "you're damn right. no offense to the art gods but composition doesn't mean shit to me." i retorted. she laughed a bit.

"and i can see why! like cmon, show me your portraits." i turned towards a specific part of my sketchbook and showed her a few realistic portraits of faces i sketched. she pointed out all the details within each face she saw and showered me with compliments. "see! you're so good with faces! they should have an anatomy class just for you because i swear you're like crippling." i wheezed at rue's comment. "you're not wrong."

we both joked around a bit before our appetizer was dropped off at our table. rue raised her eyebrows at me a bit, her eyes darting from my blank sketchbook page still in front of me, awaiting to draw on it, and back up at my face while she sipped on her water. "i have an idea."

i titled my head at her in curiosity and nodded at her, giving her approval to suggest her idea. "okay so.. you've mentioned how you wanna become a police sketch artist correct?" i nodded. "yes. it's called composite artistry. i can draw people's faces without a specific reference except descriptive details." rue hummed with interest. "from all the csi and real crime shows we've binge watched together, i genuinely think that's really cool. i've never been able to draw but to make a sketch just by a voice telling you what they see and trying to make it as accurate as possible is insane to me." i nodded and agreed with her statement, sipping my drink.

"it certainly is hard but i feel like i've grown accustomed to it. i've always loved anatomy within drawing and with that part of imagining descriptive details has stuck with me too. that's why i feel comfortable with composite artistry." i explained, rue nodding and agreeing with me. "yeah you definitely have talent with that. so how about i put you to the test?" i raised my eyebrows at her. "you mean like.. right now?" "yeah. why not? but of course if you're comfortable with it."