13 - the library

"hey, you need help with that?"

info
- lexi x reader
- 1st person
- y/n's pov
- you meet lexi for the first time
- some fluff ig

i closed the door behind me and locked my car, stepping out into the parking lot of the library. i never really liked driving this far but i needed to get done with my studying in a quieter place and also to check out some books.

i walked into the library, the sliding doors closing behind me as i'm greeted with a quiet, stale atmosphere, oak bookshelves upon oak bookshelves complimenting white walls and silhouetted architecture, and the lady at the front desk lightly smiling and nodding at my presence.

i looked over the place while walking around slowly, taking in my surroundings. there were already some people studying and reading, even with a tutor or their friend, and some walking around looking at books or cds per usual. to me, there was nothing like the insulated environment of a library. everything was completely silent and a trip there could be filled either with extreme tension or a neutral mind trying to seek knowledge or enjoyment. there was no in between.

i began to take out my phone and look through my notes app, silently reading the notes i put down of the books i needed to borrow for my studies. finally feeling settled, i looked up from my phone and up at the labels of the bookshelves, headed for the adult section.

for the first five minutes of my searching, i had no problems finding the first two books. it was the last book that was nagging at me. i kept looking around row for row, even in the rows i knew it wouldn't be in. but i kept going at it to the point where i accidentally bumped into someone coming from another row.

the girl let out a silent gasp while we stopped in our tracks. "i'm so sorry!" i whispered an apology. her glimmering eyes flashed up at me and her soft features were easily reflected in the light. she adjusted her glasses and the book she was holding in the crook of her arm and looked at me with a goofy but gentle grin that formed some dimples on the sides of her lips. "it's alright." for some reason, i felt a bit... mesmerized. maybe even needy. before she could take a step forward, i gently placed my hand on the upper part of her arm just below her shoulder. i felt like talking to her a little bit more.

"wait! i um- i'm sorry to disturb you but.." her eyes looked almost broodingly at me, trying to take me in as a person. "do you happen to know where this book is?" i showed her my phone, highlighting the title of a book on my checklist. she leaned over a bit, focusing on the highlighted title before her lips lightly formed into that smile.

"oh yeah! i've seen it around. want me to show you?" i quickly nodded at her, following her figure back around the adult section. she led me towards the back of the section, a place in the library i haven't looked at. she started looking through the books on a cart and then came across it, taking out the book carefully and handing it to me. "here you are." her voice was very smooth and her words were pronounced perfectly. i could listen to her all day. "thank you very much. you don't know how long i've been trying to find it." she chuckled at me.

"yeah. this library sometimes puts random books on hold. it's kind of stupid but you just have to look harder." she adjusted her glasses once more as i nodded at her. "well, i gotta get going. you're welcome and have a nice day." she smiled at me and gave me a small wave, walking into another aisle. my eyes just followed her figure until she disappeared from my sight.

an eager part of me wanted to feel her presence again. the way she smoothly went around with her business and had that timid, almost mysterious aura. even though she only found a book for me, i felt the need to know more about her. but who am i kidding? this is a library. people come in and out everyday and i'm probably never gonna see her again. i shouldn't get too attached like that. i subconsciously sighed as my shoulders slightly drooped down. realizing i was staring at a random aisle, i slowly snapped out of my trance and started walking to the checkout desk.