NIGHT ATTACK

With the sunset falling in, the Kauravas returned to their camp disheartened on the death of King Jaydrath and their loss while the Pandavas returned to their camp with cheered hearts on Arjun’s success. The sons of Pandu and their army, with grieved heart, prepared themselves for the funeral of the heroic Abhimanyu and the other slain warriors.

Sagarika, Draupadi, Subhadra and Kunti were holding back Uttara so she doesn't jump in the funeral pyre with Abhimanyu. They explained to her that she was pregnant and shouldn't perform sati.

Arjun with a heavy heart gave fire to Abhimanyu's pyre. The tears fell from the eyes of Pandavas remembering how they failed to save him. On the other side Jaydrath's funeral was lit on fire by Arjun again, this gave a little satisfaction to their hearts.

Suddenly scouts of the Pandav army informed Yuddhistir about the happenings in the Kaurava camp. On hearing about the battle plans and preparations for a night battle, Yuddhistir too informed his generals and troops to get ready for the battle.

But by then fire blast were showered on them, killing Maharaj Virat in the process. Maharani Sudeshna froze on the spot seeing it. Sagarika held her so she doesn't fall.

"Sagarika take all the women and children to a safe place." Arjun said.

Sagarika and Draupadi took all the women and Children on top of the hill for their safety. They along with Kunti and Subhadra grabbed weapons for their protection, because when your enemies are the treacherous Kauravas, you can never be too careful.

Suddenly the women screamed in panic, the head ladies turned around and saw soldiers approaching them. They were right, you can never trust the Kauravas.

Kunti, Subhadra, Draupadi and Sagarika quickly came in front of the ladies to protect them. The soldiers approached them but Sagarika and Kunti waved them off with their arrows. Those who managed to get away with the arrows were beheaded by the swords of Draupadi and Subhadra.

Realizing they cannot win from these kshatranis, the rest of the soldiers ran away from there. Soon they heard a loud roar in the battlefield as if a demon came here to fight.

They turned their heads and saw a huge demon fighting against Kauravas. He was quickly annihilating the army.

"Who is he ?" Sagarika asked looking at him.

"He is the son of Bheem and Hidimba. Ghatotkach." Kunti said proudly they all took a sigh of relief.

From the hill, the ladies were watching the fight, they were proudly looking at at how he crushed the soldiers of Kauravas

From the hill, the ladies were watching the fight, they were proudly looking at at how he crushed the soldiers of Kauravas. Not even the arrows of Karna, Ashwatthama and Dronacharya.

At the middle of the night, the battlefield filled with warriors with anger and revenge in their heart was aloud, abysmal and noisy. In the darkness, not knowing the difference between foe and friend, the warriors slayed the ones fighting with them.

Seeing the annihilation caused by Ghatotkach, and fearing for his army Duryodhan ordered Karn to use Amoghastra, which he got from Indradev.

Seeing that they were on the verge of losing, Karna shot Amoghastra, the Astra which never fails to slay the enemy, it pierced right through the broad chest of Ghatotkach and out of pain, roaring like a lion, Ghatotkach fell on the ground. The ladies gasped seeing him.

Even while falling, taking his most dreadful gigantic form, Ghatotkach crushed the Kaurava warriors standing beneath him and pressed by his weight, Kaurava warriors amounting an Akshauhini breathed their last along with Ghatotkach.

Realizing that his son has died, Bheem lunged towards Duryodhan, his 11 brothers defended Duryodhan and proceeded against the wrath filled Bheem. But all were killed mercilessly by him.

Seeing the death of the brothers, Duryodhan angrily lunged towards Bheem and both engaged in a deadly duel

Soon all the warriors and soldiers felt too tired to fight. Even both the troops got exhausted battling from the sunrise. Even the steeds and elephants ceased to listen to the commands of their riders.

The twelve hours of daylight battle and the nine hours of moonlight battle drained the energy of the warriors. Even the Kings and princes fought without any vigour. Arjun saw the state of the warriors.

"Warriors ! I can see that you are all tired because of the day’s battle. You all can rest in the field till sunrise. Let’s withdraw from the battle so that you all can go to sleep.” Arjun said.

Gladdened on hearing Arjuna’s words, the Pandava warriors dropped their weapons and slept in the field. The Kaurava warriors turned towards Karna for approval. Karna and Dronacharya, witnessing the exhaustion of the warriors permitted them to withdraw from the battle. The cavalries slept on the top of their steeds. And thus, both the sides, forgetting their enmity, slept alongside in the battlefield with the time for sunrise nearing in hours.

Bheem gave Ghatotkach an honorable funeral, Arjun gave funeral to Maharaj Virat. Draupadi consoled Maharani Sudeshna, Subhadra consoled Uttara and Kunti consoled Bheem.

And Sagarika ? She needed consoling herself after being exhausted by seeing the deaths of two son figures.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
A/N
ABHIMANYU AND GHATOTKACH BOTH CHANGED THE FATE OF WAR FOR THE BETTER. WITHOUT THEM THE PANDAVAS WOULDN'T HAVE EMERGED VICTORIOUS AS EASILY.