Chapter 1

Althorp, Spencer Family Residence, Summer of 1977

"Welcome back Duch, how was school?" Sarah greeted her younger sister Diana who just got home after spending months away from her boarding school.

"I am glad school's finally over. I miss spending time with you, papa, Jane and Charles." Diana said enthuiastically, spending time far away from her family was a torment.

"We all miss you also, speaking of papa he's inside waiting for you."

"How about her is she also there with papa?"

Sarah sighed, it was no secret Diana hated her father's new wife. "Papa married her of course she's there with him."

...xxx...

Diana kissed her father's cheeks who she missed a lot, "Papa I'm back, I missed you a lot while I was away."

"I miss you to, how was school?" Earl Spencer asked.

"It was alright."

"Listen your mother and I have talked about it and we think it will be best if you will continue your education at Institut Alpin Videmanette in Switzerland."

"You are sending me away again papa and in another country too." Diana was almost to tears, she just got home and her father wants to send her away again. "Tell me papa don't you want me here with you? I want to stay here with you and my sisters and Charles."

Earl Spencer wiped the tears from her daughter's eyes, "Believe me I do want you here Duch that is why I am sending you to Switzerland to learn what it is like to be a proper lady of the Spencer family. Once you are done with your studies you can stay here with us or wherever you want just do this last favor of mine."

Diana reluctantly nodded, she loves her father and did not want to disappoint him.

...xxx...

Althorp, Spencer Family Residence, November 1977

She noticed everyone was busy in the residence when she got home for the winter break.

"Hi Duch sorry for the mess." Jane greeted her.

"It's alright, everyone here are on their toes. Is there an important event happening?" Diana curiously asked, it is not everyday the Spencer Estate is busy.

"Kind of, it is grouse hunting season and we have an important guest." Jane explained.

Diana was not interested in the hunting activity but she was interested with the important guest of the house. "Who?"

"How about you change into your outdoor clothes and see for yourself who our important guest is."

Following Jane's instruction, Diana changed into her outdoor clothes and walked around the property. She immediately heard the gunshots from hunting rifles and barking of hunting dogs. Diana followed where the noise was coming from and walked through the plowed field to reach the hunting grounds.

The ground of the plowed field was wet that Diana almost slipped but managed to balance herself right on time to prevent herself from falling flat on the ground.

"Nice save. The ground is wet so you should be careful when crossing. How about I help you cross? Wait for me I am going there" A man on the opposite side of the field shouted and carefully walked towards Diana.

"No need I can do this." Diana replied and carefully walked towards the opposite side but was not able to continue for her foot got buried in a thick mud.

"Just my luck." Diana thought when one of her foot got stuck on the mud.

The man laughed and offered his hand to help Diana when he reached her, "See you do need my help afterall."

Diana reached for the man's hand, and when she raised her head to see the face of the man, Diana was surprised to see no other than the crown prince Charles himself.

Diana composed herself and curtsied which dirtied her pants with the mud which she did not mind, "I am sorry for not recognizing you your royal highness."

"It's fine really. Come on let us cross the field together." Charles said and offered his arm to help Diana cross the field.

After they crossed the field, Diana's eldest sister was already there.

"We've been looking for you your royal highness." Sarah said when she noticed Diana with Charles. "I see you've met my youngest sister Diana."

"So you are the one Sarah's been talking about. Didn't I tell you before not to be too formal with me?" Charles said to Sarah and placed his arm around her shoulder.

"Yes I know. Welcome back Duch I didn't know you will be coming home today." Sarah said to her youngest sister.

"I wanted to surprise you but you are the one who surprised me." Diana said, she can't believe her sister Sarah is close friends with prince Charles of all people.

"I will go ahead, our friends are already waiting. Nice to meet you Diana." Charles said who wanted to leave Sarah alone with her sister so they could talk alone.

"The pleasure is mine your royal highness. Thank you for helping me cross." Diana curtsied again with a beautiful smile.

...xxx...

After the hunting was done, a formal dinner was organized in the Spencer Residence followed by dancing in which Diana showcased her love and talent for the arts. Everyone was impressed by her talent especially the crown prince who can't keep his eyes off of her.

Charles managed to free himself from his friends who were talking to him about their kills which bored him for Diana already caught his attention. He looked around for Diana and saw her about to leave the party and return to her room.

"Diana." Charles called.

"Your royal highness." Diana was surprised when the prince called her.

"I hope you don't mind showing me your gallery. I got bored hearing my friends talk about their kills and your sister Sarah is still pre-occupied with them." Charles said to the young woman in front of her.

"Of course your royal highness follow me."

Diana led the prince inside the gallery of their residence, some of the paintings collected by the Spencer family are rare that did not come as a surprise to Charles since their family has long been nobles. What surprised him was the way Diana joyfully and enthusiastically told him the stories behind the paintings and how it got to her family's collection.

...xxx...

Charles left the following morning to return to his duties but before he left, Charles invited both Sarah and Diana to his birthday celebration.

Diana did not want to come with her sister to the prince's birthday for she felt out of place with her young age, but Sarah told her it was a sign of disrespect to decline an invitation form a member of the royal family.

Diana reluctantly came with Sarah to prince Charles' birthday but did not interact much with the prince who was busy entertaining his other guests and instead occupied herself to dancing and enjoying at the party. In which Charles can only look at her from a far.

....xxx...

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. I am sorry if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes.