51 | Pray For Him

Aaliyah

Exactly seven days after, we were all gathered to celebrate the naming of Junaid Hamza Mamman.

Just like his father, he looked handsome, clad in his daipers and peach and cream onsie.

The young heartthrob.

Hamza was in the mosque with the men; Uncle Hakeem, Baba, Bilal and Aunt Bilkisu's new husband, Baba Malam.

The women were in the house helping me prepare for the wedding. Aunt Asmau, Mama,  Fadila, Yusra and Zahra were here, even, Hamza's Aunt Bilkisu was here too.

The only person missing was Ruqayyah. She had already sent her gifts through Bilal. It was a set of baby clothes, a girdle and some lingerie with a note that said 'This isn't the end. Work out and look sexy again!'

We never really got along but we came to an understanding of ourselves later in the years as a result of our husbands being close friends and also because we started sharing our marriage experiences with each other.

She was more experienced so whatever she told me was coated with wisdom no matter how euphemistically she did it.

I pleaded with them to sit while the maids took care of the food and the house but they all refused, saying they couldn't stay idle.

Zahra was the most tacit of the group. We barely spoke but she was cordial.

Yusra did my make up as I have her all the details of my rollercoaster of a marriage with Hamza, leaving our problems out of it.

Aunt Asmau, Mama and Aunt Bilkisu finally slept off on the couch. Zahra, Yusra, Fadila and I stood beside the couch stating the similarities of the twins and their differences while Aunt Asmau watched Junaid upstairs. It was funny until they both woke up at the same time and threw pillows at us.

It was weird at first but we termed it 'twin magic' and turned it into a joke. Soon it was all forgotten because we were all rushing to get dressed because my friends had started arriving.

The house was packed by the time we were done. Fadila and Zahra helped the maids in serving the food much to my chagrin.

The DJ played music from a small speaker so it wouldn't be too loud. We danced and talked all through.

I introduced Yusra to Azeema and the gang then my Egyptian friends that came as well as the Nigerians.

I felt so much pride in introducing them all to my family.

I wish my actual parents were here to see their grandchild.

This can't and will not suffice. At least I'm at a point where the injury has healed though it is still raw. It wouldn't make sense.

I've never been good at describing how I felt properly.

Now I can face people without breaking down and making a fool out of myself in front of enemies I had no knowledge of.

A knock on the door catches my attention.

I rush and turn the knob open only to meet my worst enemy.

Nadiya.

I wonder what she was doing here. I never invited her.

"Salamu Alaykum." She greeted with her devious smile.

"Wa Alaykumusalam. Come in." I tried to fake a smile though I was burning inside with rage.

I'd just have to keep and eye on this cunning woman.

"Are you surprised?"

What kind of question was that?

"I don't understand."