CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT: TRUSTING

Start from the beginning

"You know that you can, Will."

The boy nodded. "Nothing feels foreign when I am with you," he said, slowly releasing her arm and turning her to face him. The two were now standing near the bank of Thames, almost completely alone. "I meant what I said yesterday. Every word of it."

Marie didn't notice when Will took his glove off, but she was taken by surprise when she felt his calloused hand caressing her cheek. Her hand immediately flew up, coming to rest over his, afraid that if it doesn't stay there - Will would withdraw it. "Did you really?"

Both Marie and Will were mesmerized by each other. It happened whenever they were together. The strange, invisible force would guide their hearts, pushing them closer to each other. No matter how hard they tried to keep their secrets, it felt impossible. They were far too drawn to each other, surrendered for an eternity.

Will licked his lips, his thumb going up and down Marie's cheekbone. "I did, Celine," he said, a fire flickering in his eyes. He was making a dangerous move. "Every last word of it."

The brunette laughed, sincerely. Her insides melted, because deep down, she had known Will's words were true.

Marie had known the boy in front of her for a long time and she liked to believe she knew how to recognize his honesty. It felt a little odd, she had to admit. Before yesterday, Will would have never dared to speak of his feelings so sincerely and without fear. It made the girl wonder what changed.

"You are hurt," Marie said, gently pulling Will's hand away from her face. Slowly, she lifted his coat sleeve up, revealing the thick bandage. "What happened?"

"Blame it on the demon I chased last night," Will shook his head. "That bastard bit me. Took a little bit more blood of mine than necessary."

"A demon bit you?" Marie's eyes widened. "It could have poisoned you, Will!"

"I think it did," Will shrugged his shoulders, as if it were nothing. "I don't recall much after that. I know I woke up at Magnus'. I could have sworn he kissed me, but he said it was probably the demon venom playing tricks on my mind."

"Magnus kissed you?" The brunette girl echoed, blinking in astonishment. "On the lips?"

"Are you jealous, Celine?" A laugh escaped from his throat, a wide grin decorating his lips. Marie didn't remember a time when he looked as happy.

Her cheeks tinted light pink as she shook her head quickly. "What, no! W-Why would I be?"

"I don't know," he said. "I am not even sure it really happened, but truly - even if it did - you're a better kisser, Celine. So, you have nothing to worry about."

Marie's heart fluttered in her chest, making her feel hot and bothered. She never liked allowing Will's to affect her so much, but this time, she couldn't help it. "Stop it," the brunette slapped Will lightly. "Why were you there anyway, Will?"

"Look," Will sighed, tilting his head backwards and letting his eyes scan the sky. "I can't say. He's helping me with something."

"With what?" Marie asked. "Are you all right? Did something happen?"

"A long time ago, Celine," Will tucked his hands into the pockets of his coat. "Even before we met. I can't tell you much, just please know that I am doing this for us. Everything I am doing is for us."

The way Will laced his words in mystery made Marie wonder what kind of a secret he was keeping. "Will, I can help you," she said. "Whatever it is, I want to be there for you."

"I know," Will's lip tugged upward. It was a sign that he understood the brunette's concern. "Believe me, I do, but this is something I have to do on my own."