thirteen

season one episode one & two ; rising . . .

part thirteen . . .

stargate operations . . .

lost city of atlantis . . .

lantea . . .

the pegasus galaxy . . .

A technician, Elizabeth, and Rodney study a monitor display that shows only darkness. A stressed-out John Sheppard was pacing by the railing, his hair growing more and more wild as the hours went by. A glance at his watch told him he only had two hours before collapse. His chest ached and his Soulmark had started burning consistently an hour ago, both signs of Soul Separation Syndrome. He knew very well what was going to happen next, and he was desperate not to let that happen.

"We're receiving visual telemetry." Doctor David Ko, one of the engineers and gate technicians announced.

"I can't see anything."

"No atmospheric readings at all," Rodney said, sounding pained. Elizabeth glanced over at him, worried. John and Grodin are watching a different monitor of the same data and spot a small round point of dim light before it quickly rotates off-screen.

"Hey, what was that?" John noticed. He didn't step closer, but Elizabeth wondered if that was because if he did he would collapse.

"Rotate the camera." David does. The camera shows rocks floating in space and rings surrounding a planet. The Stargate floats in orbit above the planet, the wormhole still active.

"Well, there goes that MALP." Rodney scoffed.

It's in space." John said blankly, what awe that normally would have been there gone at the prospect that he couldn't rescue them.

"It's in high orbit around a planet on the far side of the galaxy," Rodney said bitterly.

"Yeah, no shit McKay." John snapped, earning him a glare.

"Are you sure this is the right address?" Elizabeth asked Rodney. The physicist's head dropped, sighing.

"It's the only one we could get a lock on." He muttered, sounding pained.

"Very well. Shut it down. I'm sorry." Elizabeth walks away so she doesn't have to see the devastation her decision makes, while Rodney stares listlessly at the screen as the monitor goes dark. His bond with his sister was complicated, they both agreed on that, as had a soul bond assessor when they were six and seven. Due to their closeness in age and their complicated upbringing, Jay and Rodney had been very close growing up. Their relationship had been as close as any soulbond had been, and they'd always instinctively known when the other was hurt, or in pain, or distressed. That sense seemed to be in full swing as Rodney's chest felt like he'd been punched multiple times. Something then occurs to Rodney, and he musters up enough strength to snap his fingers at John.

"Come with me, Major." They head out of the room together.

jumper bay . . .

Rodney and John enter the ship and it lights up as they move inside. John walks to the pilot seat and touches the console. It immediately lights up, warm under his touch.