Mages and Madness

Start from the beginning

The Grass-Type showed no sights of stopping, getting closer and closer every second as vines appeared from its back, as if about to attack the young Pokemon. Zenith looked around with wide eyes, finding no one else around to see them. God, if anyone sees- but it's a risk I have to take for Star, or else this Quilladin is going to body the both of us! The Vine Whip formed a heart-shape as they neared, and Zenith wasted no time running out in front of her Pokemon, throwing her arms out on either side of her and letting the power she had restrained for so long suddenly come free.

Her hair instantly grew longer as the blonde turned light indigo, the pink highlights and her eyes- now the same color as said highlights- glowing brightly. Her clothes were enveloped in light before being replaced by an angelic white dress, gloves, and a veil, her large wings growing out from her back and spreading to their full length. She saw Quilladin falter as it was about to strike her, taking a single deep breath before a gigantic gust of wind originating from her blew it away.

The wave of energy was so powerful and fast that it broke the sound barrier, all the grass and trees in its path trembling as the Grass-Type was sent barreling through the sky and, as it fell, into the woods. Zenith's hands flew up to her face, covered her gaping mouth as she de-transformed.

I haven't lost control over my powers like that since... I-I... Since he... trained us- we were just kids and I-I was never supposed to do something like that...

Back in her human form, she fell to her knees on the ground, trying her hardest to keep her breath steady as Star ran over from behind her, staring up with concern. "Eee? Evui ee!?"

"You're okay... I'm sorry you... had to see that." She reached out, slowly petting her Pokemon. Star nuzzled against her, curling up in Zenith's lap. "It was so out of the blue, I didn't know what else to do, and there wasn't enough time to..."

"Vui. Eevee, eevui ee! Vui ee vui... ee?" She reached out a paw to point at Zenith's back, where her wings had been, cocking her head. "Eev?"

"I know, I'm... I'm different than other people. My sisters- scratch that, my family- and I are all like that, all different, but all it ever does is get us in trouble- people don't like different, they think we're dangerous, and now that Quilladin is probably really hurt."

Star narrowed her eyes, reaching a paw up to shut Zenith's mouth, staring up at her with large blue eyes, glittering like starlight reflected off the dark sea. "Eevee eev eevui, vee?"

"You... want to see it again?"

"Eeeee!" Star nodded rapidly.

Zenith sighed as she lifted the shiny partner Eevee out of her lap and stood up. "Okay, but you can't tell anyone, alright?" She glanced over her shoulder at Snorlax, who was still fast asleep. "Not him. Not even your brother and sisters."

Once again she transformed into her sorceress form, digging her heels into the ground despite every instinct crying for her to leap into the sky and soar, never returning to the ground where everything was heavy and tied-down. To go off and be herself while abandoning everything she knew.

Instead, she grit her teeth and slowly spun in a circle, allowing her Pokemon to see her true self. Her angel-white wings' feathers, the skirt of her dress, and the ends of her hair gently swayed in the breeze, which only got slightly stronger with Zenith's presence. It was still a terribly risky thing, to be transformed when anyone could find her, to tell another Pokemon that wasn't used to the concept like the remainder of her and her sisters' teams were- though considering how little time they were able to spend in said forms, they rarely ever got the chance to even catch a glimpse.

"There you go, one exclusive episode of What The Media Doesn't Want You To Know About Zenith Sawyer," she exhaled. More like an episode of 'What Zenith Sawyer Doesn't Want You To Know About Zenith Sawyer', if you ask me.

"But you look so pretty and strong! Why can't you be like this around anyone else?"

Zenith nearly choked on nothing but air as she frantically looked around for the source of the sound, freezing as she realized no one was around (and awake) other than Star. "Wh- What was- Was that you!?"

The Eevee's head once again cocked to the side in confusion. "What, me?"

"Yes, you! Why can I understand what you're saying!?"

Now it was Star's turn to look like she'd seen a ghost. "Wait, you can understand me!? Like, actually!?"

"Apparently!? But why in Arceus' name can I? Just a moment ago, all I could hear was you repeating parts of your name!"

"Maybe if has to do with your magic? If you can't use it around anyone, even Pokemon, you probably never got the chance to hear us talk."

"I mean, I never would've expected it to let me talk to Pokemon, but I have to have been like this in front of talking Pokemon at least once in my life, but I can't remember ever being able to do this!"

Star grinned, hopping up to land on Zenith's shoulder. "But this is so cool! Now you can know exactly what I'm saying all the time. Like, Nyx is being a jerk and hogging the berries again. Or I think Clemont's really smart, but I never have any idea what he's talking about!"

"But I still can't use it unless I'm sure we're alone, and even right now is a horrible idea. If people find out, I'll go to prison. Or a lab, where a bunch of people start doing tests on me and poking me with needles. I'd never get to see the light of day again, just because I took a careless risk. I'm sorry... I wish I could talk to you more, and be able to hear you talk back, but I can't. Not while we're sharing tents and Pokemon Center rooms every night, when people- my friends, the media, anyone- could see us and ruin everything my sisters and i have worked so hard to fix. One day we want to stop magic from being illegal, but people right now still don't trust mages."

The Eevee hummed sadly, rubbing against her trainer's neck. "Why can't people just get along and all be friends?"

"...Some people think power and money are more important than that. Some of them are mean, and some who were hurt by the mean people have had to learn to like being alone so that they don't get hurt again. I'd like to think that everyone has the choice to be good, and that some just make mistakes or are pressured to be bad, but some of the people I've known make me question that."

Before she could continue, a small gust of wind coming from the forest came to her, hissing softly as it carried familiar voices.

"That crazy Quilladin came from nowhere and tried to hurt my poor Eevee! I'm so glad it could use Protect to ward it off, but..."

"...think Zenith and her sisters were in this direction, maybe they can help..."

"Oh shoot! That's Serena, Clemont, Ash, and the others! They're looking for us! Dang it!" She thanked the winds for warning her and let her transformation drop, lifting Star up from her shoulder. Sending her an apologetic look, Zenith set her on the ground. "Act normal- uh, hit Snorlax with another Swift!"

Star nodded solemnly, making a gesture of zipping her lips together, before summoning some glowing stars and hitting Red's Pokemon, startling it into waking up.

The rest of our heroes burst out of the forest a moment later, approaching the trio quickly. "Zenith, there you are! You wouldn't believe what just happened!"

Oh, you'd be surprised, Ash...

~

;)

-Zenith