'The last person he cared about was his sister, and thats because he turned with those emotions towards her.' He informed me.

'Turned?' I asked, a whole bunch of new questions flooding into my head.

'Thats not important. What is, is that theres something about you that makes him feel and he doesn't know what to do about it. It's not long until he acts on those feelings.'

'Why are you telling me this?' I questioned him suspiciously.

'Because. I overheard him telling the second in command he feels something around you, something he can't place. Last time that happened, we had the abilities you humans can only dream about. We fear he will get greater power, and a man craving revenge with strong abilities is not something to wish upon some of those innocent people out there.' The emotion in his voice was unrecognizable but I could tell he was passionate about not wanting this to happen.

'Why do you care so much? You follow him, your a monster like everyone of you tattood freaks. Why should I trust you?' I questioned him my voice slightly rising louder from an anger I didn't know I had.

He shushed me urgently and looked around before whispering. 'It's not what you think. I'm here as a warning, you need to leave now. My mother once told me to go with my gut. Everything I'm doing right now is following that instinct and it hasn't failed me before.'

I nodded my head taking in advice from a total stranger. 'What happens if I leave?'

'You go alone, with none of your family and I promise I'll protect them with my life. Others have tried to escape but haven't got past the patrol so you'll look like the one odd person to sneak through. Then you run. Make your way to the border and you go west.' He instructed.
'I can get you money and supplies from what we confiscated. Olivia, if you don't leave I fear you will die.' Louis spoke.

'What about my family?' I questioned.

'They would slow you down, you'd worry to much. You run and don't settle for more than a few weeks. You can have the opportunity to travel the country Olivia, potentially the world. Don't you want that?' As much as I wanted to travel, I couldn't find it in me to leave my family without as much as a good bye and leave them in such a place.

'I can't leave them. I won't.' I firmly stated. I turned on my heel and walked back towards the front entrance but froze on the next words.

'I spoke to your parents today Olivia, and they suggested it. They heard of Jaxon's interest in you and want you as far away as possible and as safe as possible.'

'But Ben-'

'Ben would be fine, I'd promise my life on that.'

'When would I leave?'

'Two nights from now, right after the last night patrol is done making sure everyone is in their huts. Ill meet you right here.' His voice sounded determined and I couldn't help but feel hopeful at his idea.

If he promised to keep my family safe and maybe one day help them escape, we would all be free from the constant threat we are facing daily. Lives would turn back to normal and that is something everyone in the village wanted, and maybe my family would be lucky enough the get the opportunity. The more I thought it over, the more appealing it sounded.

'Okay.' I agreed. 'Two nights back in this exact spot after final hut check.' He noded his head and I gave him a tight smile in return.

I turned and walked back to hall enterence, completly oblivious to the dark figure watching and listening into the conversation with Louis. Had I seen the man who felt he needed me by his side, maybe the plan to escape wouldn't have ended so violently.