Chapter 1 - Dawn

I shift in my chair, tapping my pen lightly against the desk. My thoughts are broken as my father lumbers in, his head shaking as he takes a seat next to me.

"He's throwing a fit," Dad states, running a hand through his gray hair. His eyes seem drained fro the long day of work.

I bite my lip. This whole situation was putting some much stress on him. He had never had a prisoner like this before. I reassuringly respond, "I'll talk to him, I think I will be able to tell-"

I am cut off by the disruptive rumbling of my phone. Dad raises an eyebrow so I motion for him to pick it up.

"Barbra Gordon's office." He pauses. "She's working. I will let her know that you want her to call back. May I ask who's calling? Aren't you the kid who broke Bab's window trying to get her to sneak out? Uh huh, alright then, goodbye."

He slams the phone onto the desk before shooting me a glare. "You are still talking to that Dick Grayson kid?"

A grin lit up my face "He called? He said he had to go on a business trip with Mr. Wayne to London a few months ago but never called. Or e-mailed... or mailed any postcards..."

Dad clears his throat. "If I do so recall, you have a client to question."

I roll my eyes and hurry over to the interrogation room. My hand lands on the brass door nob and I turn it slowly. This would be the hardest psychological evaluation of my life. I knew I was prepared, but butterflies took flight within my gut. Slowly, I enter the pitch black room. Shadows cover the prisoner who thrashes his arms under the cuffs. He tosses his head back with angst. 

"This is completely unfair!" Mr. Marco's lawyer announces, stepping out from the corner of the room and towards his client.

"He is in handcuffs. However, if he would rather be in a straight jacket, please, let me know. I am more than happy to oblige."

The lawyer murmurs to himself before returning to his position in the corner of the room.

"Now, Mr. Marco, your sentence is as follows; you are being charged for conspiracy to take down Gotham's town hall while aiding the mass terrorist, the Joker. You have pleaded an insanity deal with a side of coercion. Is this correct?"
The lawyer nods.

I glance from the lawyer to the deranged Mr. Marco. "So you wouldn't mind me asking a few questions?" I inquire.

The lawyer prods the irresponsive Mr. Marco with his index finger as I sit at the edge of the table. The room smells of sweat and anxiety. 

"When did your mental health issues begin?"

"I-I was-s fourteen.." He stutters out the words, his shoulders twitching with ever letter. His head snapping back in forth, whipping around his overgrown brunette hair as he manages to enunciate the words.

I clench my fingers together to remain composure. It never feels good to watch someone in this much psychological pain; especially when they're locked up. "What do you believe to have triggered the events?"

His shoulders begin shaking again, his head snapping more ferociously as he begins to shake the table. Grunts escape his trembling mouth.

"You better leave, Miss Gordon." The guard calls to me. 

I quickly grab my files from the table and head to the doorway protected by the police officer. The police office stinks of ash. I glance up at his face as he unlocks the door for me. His mouth is formed in a smile that takes up his entire face and extended by the overdrawn lipstick.

"Surprise, surprise!" He cackles. Quickly, he shoves his hand into my mouth to silence me before emerging a button from his coat pocket.

"One for all or all for one." He quips before triggering an explosion on the other side of the cell, freeing Mr. Marco. The shock sends the two of us flying into the brick wall. My head slams against a brick and I'm out cold.

Everything aches as my eyes flutter open. Pieces of brick lay scattered around the ash ridden floor and everything smells like burnt toast. The ground is burning and my legs are bleeding. Pain surges through my leg and the pulses gradually get harder and more frequent. Red curls of hair surround my face, fallen from the neat pony-tail it was once in. I try to move my arms but they are roped together above my head. I'm dangling. I'm dangling twenty feet above the ground. I glance upward, only to find myself hanging onto the remnants of the 2nd floor of the police station. The restraints feel loose; any sudden movement and kablam!

I  glance down below; my view is on the first floor of the precinct. An officer covered in rubble throws off his hat, revealing green hair the color of grass. He picks up Mr. Marco by the shirt, holding him in front of his face. The attorney protests, but this only causes the Joker to scream. Drawing his weapon, the Joker shoots once at the attorney and again at Marco. I gulp as he heads over to where my desk used to be.

Dad.

Grabbing my Dad's tie he drags him underneath my dangling body. He runs his hand through my father's aging hair and pulls him up so that the two are eye level.

"Hey!" I scream. I yell it again,"Hey! Joker!

"Why, what a nice surprise! A live audience!" He screams, throwing his hands up in the air and turning towards the gaping hole in the cell that overlooks Park Avenue, "Are you ready Gotham!?" 

My left leg goes limp from blood loss. Sweat rolls down my forehead as prayers and thoughts run through my head. I will not let this psycho hurt anyone else.

I spit our my argument, "What a coward." I snarl, " You have to kill the Commissioner while he's asleep. You know that if he were awake, he would kick your sorry ass."
Joker grimaces. " Who even are you? Secretary number 10?"

"I'm forensic psychologist Barbara Gordon."
"Gordon? James'  Gordon's daughter? Splendid! Why that's the best thing I've heard all day and I was at a funeral all morning!" Laughter fills the empty void as the Joker throws his head back.

The Joker picks up the back of his suit coat and bows." Thank you all for coming tonight. My first trick will be to make this man, disappear!"

"Boo!" I scream, thrashing wildly again,"You're a horrible magician! How about, you make me disappear? Making your live audience disappear would be quite a feat."
Joker laughs, kicking Dad again as he circles back to me,"Little Miss Gordon thinks she can trick me into leaving her Daddy, but I suppose it's past your bedtime." He pauses to gauge my reaction. "Hey, the show must end sometime, kiddo."

A deep voice murmurs from above, "The show's just begun."

Before I can even comprehend it, Batman is standing beneath me. With a singular punch, he sends the Joker falling. Robin drops down, almost like he was on a bungee cord, and grabs Dad off of the ground. 

I swing my legs back and forth until I gain enough momentum to leap onto the remaining part of the second floor. The rope snaps as I do, and in the process, digs into my wrist. As I land, I hear the faint crack of my ankle. 

"Mmm." I moan.

Come on, Barbara. Get outside. Go to your Dad.

" You shouldn't be walking with an injury like that."

I turn around to find Nightwing standing before me. The remaining light from the day falls on him, causing his eyes and chest to glisten. He seems godlike. 

"I'm fine-" I stutter. 

"Hold on tight."

He wraps an arm around my waist and we go flying through the side of the precinct. Nightwing lands us on a clock tower nearby. Waiting there is Robin, and my unconscious Dad. He lowers me to the deck where Robin sits, his legs dangling over the side, and taking my Dad's pulse. Nightwing stares at me for a while before turning to Robin.

"Take them to Gotham Hospital."

"But-"
"Robin." He growls, shooting the young boy a glare before flying off the roof and back into the precinct.

Robin heaves Dad onto his back and raises his grappling hook.

"I'll come back for you next-"

"I can get there myself." I huff, pulling my hair behind my ears.

"Look lady-"
I pull myself up off of the ground. Instantly, immense pain surges through my body and I feel like throwing up. Before I can, darkness swallows me as blood begins to pool around me.