17. Percy

Chapter 17: Percy

I was grinning like an idiot all the way back home. I couldn't believe I had the courage to actually hold her hand and kiss her cheek.

"You really like this girl, don't you?" my mother asked, when I entered the car.

All the excitement, all the smiling was sucked away with that simple sentence. I noticed that my heart wasn't rushing anymore. "I don't like her, ma!" I argued. "I mean — it's not that I hate her. I don't dislike her, I mean. But I don't like like her, you know?"

"I just heard a whole bunch of 'like' Percy," she laughed.

"Oh whatever, ma. That's what you would hear anyways," I teased. She laughed.

"Just don't hurt her, mkay?" she said.

"I already did," I chuckled.

"Percy Jackson! What do you mean?"

"Remember that girl I hit at the park? That was her," I said and quickly bit my lip.

"Well she's certainly forgiven you," my mother smiled. Her eyes were so big and happy in the rear view window I could almost see small hearts in them. I rolled my eyes. Oh mother.

~a couple of days later at a tutoring session hehe~

"So. I guess you're my new regular, huh?" Annabeth asked, as I sat down on the desk in front of hers. She looked different today, better. Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail except a small curly strand that hung on the side of her head. She was wearing the camp t-shirt again, it was orange, and jean shorts, but today she had added a bandana tied around her head.

I grinned. "I guess so." I hadn't seen her in a while and I had to get used to the feeling of my heart wanting to escape my rib cage all over again.

"So what did the evil Mr. D assign for homework?" she giggled.

I laughed with her. My heart was light and happy. I don't think I ever felt it that way. "Um he assigned us about 5 pages of work," I rolled my eyes. "But that's why I came! You're going to do all of them for me!" I smiled like a dork.

"You mean help you do it. I don't do it for you," she argued.

"Oh right. Sorry, my bad, Wisegirl," I drawled.

She rolled her eyes. "Okay then, let's start!" She looked so excited to do math and I smiled, wanting to share every fraction of that excitement with her.

She dove into yet another lecture of math. I, as usual, couldn't keep up with her. "So that's why we use U to help solve polynomials," she concluded.

Her grey eyes flew over sheets of paper and math problems, her arms gestured what she was explaining, and every so often she would reach up and check that her bandana was in place. Her princess curls bounced with excitement and she sat straighter up in her chair. Then she dove in. And I, of course, could only see the gleam in her eyes.

"I kind of got it?"

"Oh come on! I explained it so well!" Her face dropped and she put her hands on her head.

"Sorry," I shrugged.

She looked at her phone. "It's getting late. They are going to close up the school, soon. We should go do this someplace else," she groaned.

I studied her carefully. All of her energy from before was gone. Her face was drained and she looked ready to pass out. "I think you need a break," I told her.