17. Not Bulletproof Anymore

Start from the beginning

"I'll go to the washroom," Minji informs placing her handbag on the table.

"Alright but be quick, Dae will get the food soon," Haneul replies gesturing to the younger man standing in a queue at the counter.

The girl nods and steers her wheelchair into the female bathroom. She bows to an elderly woman and thanks her for holding the door open. Minji runs her fingers through her hair, combing them and twisting the locks into a messy bun. She washes her hands and exits the washroom only to collide with a man.

"Watch where you're going, you retard!" The blond man hisses, wiping the juice that spilled on his shirt.

"I-I'm sorry." Minji bows licking her lips nervously. "I didn't mean to."

"Just because you're disabled you think I'll go easy on you? You should've stayed home instead of being a nuisance to others." He snarls raising his hand in the air.

Minji closes her eyes on instinct, turning her head to the side.

"I dare you to touch her." A familiar voice warns from behind.

Minji opens her eyes to see Haneul gripping the man's wrist tightly, preventing the flow of blood in his hand. The doctor sidewalks and stands in front of the girl.

"Who do you think you are? Her boyfriend?" The man spits, forcefully pulling his hand away.

"What are you? A stray dog barking wherever he wills? No, you're even lower. A pile of crap would suffice if I must say."

"Why you—" the man lurches forward to throw a punch but Haneul ducks and kicks him in the shin. People gather around them but he pays no attention.

"Don't trash talk people," Haneul grits straddling the man and twisting his arm in the back. "You're fortunate Dae is not here, or else he'd make sure you become the very type of person you're looking down upon. Now scram!"

The man looks at his surroundings, sealing his lips together at the scowling faces of the customers. He cusses but leaves the place.

Haneul turns to Minji, a satisfied smile gracing his features. "Are you alright?" He asks dusting his pants.

"Than—thank you, Haneul oppa." The girl sniffles with a smile of her own.

"Don't fret it. It's a brother's job to protect his sister." The doctor winks with a chuckle, hand patting Minji's head.

"Damn it!" Haneul bangs his fist on the elevator door. His head hangs low, teeth gritting against each other to hold in his helplessness and frustration. He doesn't know how he drove in his state. He walks towards his apartment and the door opens with a beep when Haneul places his finger on the scan pad.

"Welcome back, Kim-ssi," the housekeeper greets upon the doctor's arrival. "Do you want me to heat dinner?"

"You...you can leave. I'm not hungry."

"Alright."

Haneul walks straight into Soomin's room. The girl is on the ground, several plushies scattered around her. She's playing with a Barbie doll and a polar bear.

"Appa!" The daughter beams placing the toys on the floor. She runs to him and wraps her arms around his legs. "I was waiting for you."

Haneul gives her a watery smile and ruffles her hair slowly.

"Appa...are you cwying?"

The words trigger Haneul and he falls to his knees, choking on an audible sob. He pulls Soomin into his embrace and lets his tears cascade down his cheeks. Her question had been the last straw to unleash the agony he has been feeling in the past hour.