Chapter 3: The Holy Grail War

So, I thought I overdid it with the length of the last chapter, but this one somehow managed to be even longer than that. Yeah, there's a lot to unpack here, but I hope you guys enjoy it all the same. With that said, here's chapter 3 of Fate/Burning Will.

--------------------------------------

"Huh? 'Master?'"

To say Natsu was confused was an understatement. Even though he'd been through a lot of supernatural events back in Earthland, this was the first time something of that nature was happening here. He had expected to live without occurrences as insane as these - insane for the common person, standard fare for him - until he returned. However, this was not the case.

"Your Servant, Saber, has come in response to your summons," the woman then spoke up again, "Master, your orders?"

"Hang on, you lost me," Natsu replied, "What's this about Masters and Servants?"

Natsu's confusion perplexed Saber. A Master should be aware of what's going on. After all, they're the ones who summon Servants in the first place. How could he be unaware of the Holy Grail War? Unless...

"I see. You must have unknowingly summoned me," she sighed before shaking her head, "No matter. Henceforth, my sword will be at your side, and your fate is my fate. The pact is now sealed."

A wind soon began to surround her sword as she clenched it, before she turned around and launched herself outside, heading straight for the Servant that attacked Natsu. The two of them clashed and briefly matched each other blow for blow. Meanwhile, Natsu still had too many questions and not enough answers. It also kind of peeved him that someone else was now taking up the fight that he was initially a part of. Although, that was the least of his concerns right now.

Eventually, Saber began to overpower the other Servant, forcing him to jump back to get some distance between them.

"Coward!" he berated her, "What's the meaning of this, concealing your weapon?"

"What's the matter, Lancer?" she retorted, "If you stand there, you'll give spearmen a bad name. If you will not come to me, then I shall come to you."

So, this guy's name was Lancer. Talk about an odd name for Natsu to hear.

"Before you do, let me ask you one thing," Lancer began to ask, "Your Noble Phantasm... Is it a sword?"

Rather than giving a straight answer, though, Saber replied in a way that could easily be interpreted as taunting him.

"Who can say? It may be a battle axe. Or perhaps a polearm. Or it might even be a bow, Lancer."

"Very funny, swordswoman!" Lancer said as he changed his battle stance, "One more question. Since this is our first meeting, would you be interested in calling it a draw?"

"I think not. You will fall here, Lancer."

"Is that so? My mission was simply to observe. Well, that and take out one guy..." Lancer muttered, gathering power in his spear before speaking up, "I'll have your heart!"

He began running at Saber before coming to a halt and jumping, firing his aura-coated spear at the swordswoman.

"Gae Bolg!"

Natsu was quick to rush from the shed, coating his fist in flames as he moved to intercept the spear that was heading toward Saber.

"Fire Dragon King's-"

"Master, stay back!"

The Dragon Slayer's attack was interrupted by this warning, as Saber swung her sword to intercept Lancer's Gae Bolg. However, something strange happened. Just as it seemed like she was going to repel it, it came back at her. She managed to avoid a fatal blow, but she was still stabbed in her shoulder in the process before being sent flying, landing in front of the shed.