Chapter 18: Cleaved

So as of this chapter being published, I've actually started college, which gives me more free time than I expected. In fact, I'd say college is way more freeing than high school. As for why I took so long... To be honest, my motivation was wearing down as I continued to write this chapter, but I found myself regaining the motivation to see this through after I reread what I'd accomplished so far. So, that's nice.

As thanks for your patience, this is an extra long chapter, clocking in at nearly 15,000 words. Hopefully this'll keep you guys satisfied until I get Chapter 19 out (which should be way shorter).

Regardless, I've kept you guys waiting long enough, so here's chapter 18 of Fate/Burning Will.

--------------------------------------

"Here it is!"

With the dinner that Sakura Matou prepared finally being ready after a long, rough day of fighting, excitement had initially filled the hungry minds of Natsu, Rin, Saber, and Illya. She'd promised to prepare a wonderful meal for them, after all. So, naturally, they had expected just that.

They couldn't have been anymore wrong.

What they were now staring down was an utter abomination of a meal. They gazed at the concoction, being able to see each individual component: overcooked rice, undercooked meat, soggy vegetables, and a liquid substance that could potentially be considered soup. In hindsight, it wasn't a good idea to let Sakura cook dinner. She'd never cooked before, given her previous hell of a lifestyle.

"This is..."

"That looks..."

The disheartened, unfinished comments from Rin and Illya, respectively, combined with Natsu and Saber's silence did not bode well for the coming dinnertime. Still, they had to eat after Sakura put in so much effort. Funnily enough, though, Natsu himself didn't seem disheartened at all. He was ready to chow down as if he'd been given a full course meal.

"Well, time to dig in!" the Dragon Slayer enthusiastically spoke as took his seat.

Slowly and hesitantly, the others began to sit down. Rin and Saber appeared ready to eat, although hesitant. Meanwhile, Illya was another story.

"Do we really have to-?" the Einzbern girl began to complain, before her mouth was forcibly covered by Rin's hand and the Tohsaka mage making a faint shushing sound.

Thus, the group began eating. Natsu scarfed his plate down like there was no tomorrow, as he did with any food, but Rin and Saber had to actively restrain themselves from gagging due to the taste of the meal. Illya was far less willing to restrain herself, making her disgust known. Seeing this, Sakura began to worry.

"H-How is it...?" she hesitantly asked.

"Uhh..." Rin hesitated, choosing her words carefully before deciding to just lie, "It's... good."

"This is... certainly something," Saber added.

"I miss Sella..." Illya whined.

This did not help Sakura's self-esteem when it came to her cooking, so - frantically searching for other opinions - she turned to Natsu.

"W-Well, what about you, Senpai?"

Natsu was silent for a moment, as he was busy swallowing a particularly large bite he'd taken. After an audible gulp, though, he gave his answer.

"Well, to be honest..." Natsu admitted, "It's not that great."