1. Postmortal

🐴🐴🐴

Emptiness.

Everything had gone pitch black.

He couldn't feel, hear or smell anymore. He couldn't remember anything. His brain was empty, like everything around him.

Was he dead? It sure felt like it. Or not felt, rather. He couldn't remember how he died. He couldn't remember anything. Who was he?

George.

That was his name.

He remembered something, then. He knew who he was, but not where he had come from, or where he was going.

George tried to move his body, but he couldn't feel it.

He could still think, he noticed. He knew things, even though he couldn't feel them. He must be alive then, right? Maybe he was in a coma. Maybe his brain was working, but nothing else.

Slowly things started to return. George heard the sirens of an ambulance, slowly coming closer, and rain hitting the hard ground.
He smelled the surrounding, the asphalt road and the gasoline from the cars. The blood. He must be in a city then, but he still couldn't feel it.

Then he could see. He saw a body on the road and the street lamps lighting it up. His body. Was he a ghost? He saw more things - a truck, cars stopping besides the body and both an ambulance and police cars approaching. Then he saw another body kneeled besides his own. Dream's.

George suddenly remembered it all.

🐴🐴🐴

January 7th, 2021

It was a cold evening, rain pouring down on the dark streets of London and gloomy lightning from the stores brightening the sidewalks. Just like any day, pretty much, but not for George and his best friend Dream.

This was the evening they had arranged a meet up. Dream was already travelling to the United Kingdom because he was seeing relatives, and it was the perfect moment for him to see George as well. They had already talked about it for the last couple of weeks, and both of them were really excited for it.

Since George didn't have a driver's licence, Dream had already booked a taxi and they had met up outside George's place.

The evening had started with fun and gaming. George had been streaming, had fun like he always did. Once the stream had ended they agreed to go out for dinner, and that's when the argument happened.

"It took you long enough to let me meet you," Dream said at first. He didn't sound too happy, and that made George nervous.

"Well, at least I tried, unlike a certain someone else I know." He regretted the answer as soon as he said it, but it was too late now. It would be best to just go with it.

"Oh, who?" Dream sounded curious in a sarcastic way at that. Since when didn't he understand jokes?

"You, silly." George smiled in hopes of lightening the mood, he only meant it as teasing. They always joked with each other, it was fine.

He didn't know for sure how Dream would react to that, whether he would laugh, act dumb or brush it off, but he certainly didn't expect him to just stare at him in disbelief.

"Me? I planned this whole trip. I was the one who asked if I could come here and I basically forced you to say yes. I booked the tickets and I made time in my busy schedule to be able to do this. What did you do, George?"