14. Country lode, take me home

A/N: Follow Laikoski_ on twitter everyone! I love their art soo much ^^

🐴🐴🐴

When Dream woke up, he was still lying on George's back. The horse was breathing softly and peacefully. Had he really not been bothered at all by the extra weight the whole night?

Dream carefully sat up straight and stretched his body. It had been a comfortable night of sleep, the best in a while.

George must've noticed he woke up, because he opened his big, brown eyes and raised his head.

"Morning, boy," Dream mumbled, his voice still groggy.

He then remembered last night, and why he had came out here in the first place.

He had to get away.

He didn't want to stay a second longer with Cassidy. Maybe he had overreacted, but right now, he hated her. And he gave himself the right to do so. At least for a few days.

But those days he didn't want to spend here. He wanted to finally see Sapnap. After figuring things out, maybe he would come back.

Maybe.

Maybe, he told himself. The answer was pretty much already yes, there was no way he was going to leave horse George. But he could manage a few days alone, right?

Dream picked up his phone and made the call.

"Hello?"

At the weak sound of Sapnap's voice, horse George rose his ears. Dream smiled, putting the phone on speaker mode so George could hear.

"Hi, Sapnap."

"Dream! How are you doing? How's the horse?"

"He's great, and I am too. He's standing next to me right now."

"Now? Why are you up so early?"

"I slept outside. Something happened last night, and I have to leave today."

At those words, horse George turned to look him in the eyes. Then he snorted and backed away from him.

"Why? What happened?" Sapnap sounded worried.

"I'll tell you later. Just... come here, please. I don't want to feel even worse about leaving George and he's already backing away from me."

"George?"

"Oh, right. I named the horse George."

He could hear Sapnap sigh on the other side and smiled. George the horse snorted again, and Dream looked up at him.

"What is it?" Dream whispered to him. "You don't want me to leave?"

The horse shook his head. Or at least it looked like he did.

"Sorry, buddy. I have to."

"Why do you have to?" Of course Sapnap had heard him. The downside to using speaker mode.

"It's... a girl here named Cassidy. She tried to seduce me or something last night, and I couldn't take it anymore. It was the last drop."

"Oh. I'm sorry, Dream. I'm on my way right now."

"Yeah. Thanks, Sap."

Dream hung up and looked back at George. The horse still kept a good two meter distance and when he reached out a hand, he backed away even more.

"I'm sorry, George," he said again. "But I can't stay here forever, and you know it too."

Once again he reached out an arm, but horse George simply turned around to face away from him. His ears were pulled back.