18. We need to go deeper

A/N: Art by Olga Anisimova on ArtStation. Meant to be Dawn.

🐴🐴🐴

It was a painful ride back.

Not for George, but for Texas. He winced at every step, keeping the leg in the air for as much time as possible.

It was clear his injury was taken over. It hadn't been like this since their adventure, George still wasn't even sure what kind of injury it was.

Something made him feel like he shouldn't ask.

"You okay?" was the question he went for instead.

"No," was Texas' weak reply. At least he wasn't lying. To be fair, neither him, Dawn or any of the other horses he had met did actually lie, they just didn't answer questions when they were uncomfortable with them. Did horses even have the ability to lie?

They must have. Both Texas and Dawn had seen through his own multiple times.

"We should really check on Texas once we're back," Sapnap mumbled. He had dismounted and led the horse by hand, something Texas seemed to appreciate.

"Yeah. Henry and James should know what to do." Dream agreed. He was also on the ground, but without the need for holding the reins as George simply just followed him.

Sapnap glanced at him and smiled. "Horse whisperer."

"What?" Dream chuckled. "He just follows me. I'm not even doing anything!"

"You have to do something. That's not real horse behavior."

"Well, George is a very special horse."

George flicked his ears. It was true. George was a special horse, only he wasn't a horse. It was also true he didn't act much like one. Was that a bad thing?

By showing a human like side, maybe Dream would realise the truth. But it would also mean people got used to it, and maybe wouldn't see it as weird anymore.

If he could, he would have told Dream. He once tried to write in the ground, but his clumsy hooves didn't allow text to form and it just looked like a child's drawing.

He wanted to tell Dream, he really did.

He just didn't know how.

🐴🐴🐴

George was expecting total chaos when they arrived back at the ranch, but that didn't happen.

Henry was completely calm about the situation. He led Texas inside, convinced it was just a sprain and that he would be fine.

George didn't trust him. He knew this was a lot bigger than a sprain. But to his dissapointment, both Dream and Sapnap agreed. To their defense, they hadn't known Texas as long, but shouldn't anyone be able to see the real damage?

That night, he was thinking. He was alone in his pasture, as Texas wasn't here to give him company anymore.

Dawn was close to his fence, watching him at times.

"What are you thinking about?" she suddenly asked.

"Everything. It's not just my task and telling Dream now, it's Texas too."