29. Who is cutting onions?

A/N: Beautiful art by @boobeardrawws on Instagram :3

🐴🐴🐴

Dream had kept his promise.

It had been one month since the events of the Golden Fields, and it had been the calmest in a while.

With the others, George barely spent any time at all as a horse now. The bucket tied on his foot had first been upgraded to a filled plastic bag, and now it was simply a drenched shoe. The more they tried, the more they learnt exactly how much water was needed for the transformation to happen.

For anyone who wasn't part of their group, the ranch must look like a weird place. Buckets and bowls of water were scattered practically everywhere for George to refill the shoe with.

But despite being able to live like normal, George wasn't happy.

The normal, soft bed wasn't enough. Helping each and everyone of the rescued horses to find new homes wasn't enough. Not even talking to Dream.

Because some nights, George would go outside. He would undress and run away as a horse, just to spend time in that shape.

He had gotten so used to his horse self that it felt wrong being normal. Maybe it was an illusion, there to prevent him from doing exactly this.

Many things about being a horse were bad, but there was good things too. No colorblindness, ability to speak to other horses, running faster. And a sense of... freedom.

Dream would push George to stay in his human form. Of course, George couldn't blame his friend for wanting that. But this was something Dream didn't understand.

And the task. In the back of his head, George knew his task remained. Horses lived much shorter than humans, and he had no idea how old his horse body of was. It could be a matter of days until his actual death, and then it would be too late.

But when Dream suggested they would start streaming again, that's when George decided to finally speak up.

"We need to talk," he said.

He could tell by Dream's expression that he understood. It was the talk.

"I'm listening," Dream replied. He sat down on the wooden bed in his bedroom, watching George in the door frame.

"I- You see, I... ugh, shit." George stumbled on his words, not knowing how to begin.

Dream patted the space beside him. "Sit," he commanded.

George sat down and looked Dream in the eyes. The usual green tone was gone, replaced by a dull yellow.

"I don't think I can do this," George sighed and looked back down.

"Do what?"

"Be... human. Not when I'm supposed to be a horse."

"But you're not supposed to be a horse, George."

There it was. Exactly like George had feared, Dream didn't understand.

"Right now I am. I was reborn as a horse. I feel more like a horse than a human."

"But if you were supposed to be a horse, why would it even be possible for you to transform in water?" Dream questioned.

"I don't know! This just... doesn't feel right."

"Well, what are you going to do? Become full time horse? Leave me?"

George looked up, and to his surprise, Dream seemed annoyed. This wasn't at all the reaction he had wished for.