28. Hero of the village

🐴🐴🐴

During a few seconds, George felt like he was flying.

He sailed over the water like in slow motion. Wind blowing in his mane, nothing but air under his hooves, Dream on his back.

He trusted Dream. He knew he wouldn't fall.

And so, he gracefully landed on the other side of the river and kept running. He had done it. He had prevented history from repeating and made the leap of faith.

With a neigh of happiness, he ran past all the other horses and took the lead.

Dream made a shout of joy. "You made it! You made the jump, George!"

Behind them, Paul's cars had to stop. They did catch a few of the horses, but most of them, including George and his two new friends, had gotten away.

It was with a newly found energy he galloped his way to freedom.

🐴🐴🐴

Hours later, George started to recognize the wilderness around Oakley Ranch. Perhaps Dream had known the way, or maybe it was out of instinct he had found the way.

Many of the horses had taken different paths, but twenty or so were still with them, including Jeffrey and Tim the foal. The odd friends had been right behind them the whole way.

George had learnt a lot of things from them before the rescue. Useful stuff. In fact, they had been way more useful than both Texas and Dawn had in more than one month's time.

"This is home," Dream said from George's back. He assumed he spoke to the horses, because George of course already knew they were home.

Two very confused ranch owners waited at the entrance. It must be a odd sight to see, Dream bareback on George followed by a big group of loose horses.

"Dream?" Henry said when they approached. "What's going on?"

"Long story," Dream replied. "These horses need to stay overnight."

"All of them?" James asked with wide eyes.

"Yes, but just temporary. We have to find them new homes."

"New homes? What have you been doing?"

"I'll explain. Help me get these."

Henry glanced at James, who glanced back with a just as confused look. But they did help Dream when he dismounted and showed the closest horses into a nearby pasture.

🐴🐴🐴

It took almost a full hour to sort all the horses into their temporary home.

It was a good thing both Henry and James were great with horses, because without their help Dream would have accidentally placed stallions and mares together.

George had listened to Dream explain in the meanwhile. He had gone trough everything, from Paul and the Fields to George being a horse and his task to come back to life.

It was a lot for them both to take in, but it seemed like they believed him in the end.

Before they all went inside for the night, George nudged Dream to get his attention.