19. Fishy business

🐴🐴🐴

George couldn't sleep that night.

His brain was foggy with thoughts. He had just found out water made him human. That must have something to do with his task - maybe he should completely drown himself in order to turn back?

It seemed risky. At least he was actually onto something now. If he kept studying the water, maybe he would figure it all out. The ghost queen had told him he would, so it couldn't be impossible, could it?

The hours passed, and eventually the sun started to rise. George enjoyed seeing the orange and pink sky - not being colorblind anymore was for sure something he'd miss.

The first rays hitting his skin felt warm and gave him energy. It was a new day, and he was ready for it.

🐴🐴🐴

It took another two hours until the rest of the ranch awoke. But the first noise of the day wasn't one of them coming from the main house, it was a white car driving up on the parking slot.

George immediately recognised the two exiting. It was the man with the suit from the ferry, he who owned the Golden Fields, and his male assistant.

What were they doing here?

Were they taking Dawn?

Soon after the car had stopped, Henry came hurrying out of the house. He greeted them, and George made sure to hear every word of their conversation.

"You must be Paul Field!" Henry exclaimed and eagerly shook Suit man's hand. "Welcome, welcome."

"Thank you, mr Oakley. I'm excited to work with your horses!"

Work with their horses? What did Suit man mean with that?

"Please, call me Henry. I'm so thankful I found you, I feared you were pretty busy owning that horse sanctuary as well."

"Oh, that's no problem at all! It pretty much takes care of itself, I have lots of time for other things."

Now James exited the house as well, but Dream was still nowhere to be seen.

"Ah, James!" Henry smiled. "Meet Paul Field. He is the new trainer!"

James happily greeted Suit man. George watched him from behind his fence, highly suspicious of his arrival. How many things was he included in? Having an assistant working for a shelter, being owner of a sanctuary and now a horse trainer too?

His acting was off too. On the ferry, he had been cold and emotionless. Now he seemed so energetic and almost cheerful.

It was weird. Who was he supposed to train?

Then Suit man, or Paul, as his name really was, turned and caught a glance of him. His eyes widened at the sight.

"Is this the stallion?" Suit man said while approaching. George pulled his ears back, it was still something weird about this guy.

"That's George, yes. But I wouldn't go so close if-" Henry didn't finish his sentence, because George reared up the moment Suit man tried to touch him. All he got in return was a smile.

"Seems like I have some work to do," the man said, still with the evil grin on his face. "But don't worry, he'll be ready for the rodeo."

George froze. Rodeo? Did this mean Dream had agreed to compete after all? But then why had they called a trainer?

He was confused. Dream wouldn't agree to this, he was positive he wouldn't.

"Do you want to test ride today?" James asked.