8. This boat has legs

🐴🐴🐴

The lower deck of the ferry was dark, only lit up by weak lamps on the walls. George turned around, noticing this was a parking slot. Hundereds of cars, trucks and even horse transports stood still in the darkness.

"Great!" said Texas sarcastically. "Now what?"

"Now... we find Dawn's transport. And then we stay hidden until we arrive. We can not go upstairs, that's where all the people are."

Texas nodded and slowly started making his way between the vechiles. None of them had drivers in them, which was a relief. That would complicate things quite a lot.

While searching for Dawn, George noticed the boat starting to move. It would probably take a few days to reach America, meaning they wouldn't run low on time soon.

"I wonder how they do with all the horses here," George pondered. "They shouldn't be allowed to keep them locked up for such a long time."

"Maybe they come back to take them out for a walk."

"Yeah. We'll have to see."

They soon found Dawn's transport, which was parked the closest to the exit. It made sense, the car had entered the boat last.

George swiftly opened the backside and entered the transport.

Five pairs of eyes met his. He immediately recognised the icy blue ones and felt his face lit up.

"Dawn!" he said, earning a happy neigh from the white horse. Without hesitation, he walked up to her and unlocked the stall door.

"What are you doing here, George?" she asked while he was working.

"This is the boat! We're going to the United States! ...And we were saving you, of course."

"Really? That's amazing!" She walked out of the stall and followed him down the ramp and onto the hard floor. "What do we do now, then? Wait?"

"I suppose so. But we also have to be on our guard, in case anyone comes down here."

"George! Dawn! Look over here!" It was Texas, who stood by a staircase leading upwards. George walked up to him and read the sign above.

"Horse rest grounds? Sounds interesting."

"Should we check it out?" asked Dawn, carefully placing a hoof on the first step.

"I guess... but we have to be very careful then." George took the lead upstairs, where they soon found themselves at the second deck.

This was another huge area, but completely empty. It smelled of horses and contained multiple small pens, stations for hay and water and stalls. It seemed like it was a place for the horses to take a break from the five day journey.

To their luck, not a human was to be seen. They must all be another stair up then.

"Whoa!" Texas exclaimed, immediately trotting out on the open space. The sound of his hooves echoed against the flat walls. "It's so huge!"

"Can we spend the time up here?" asked Dawn, curiously walking up to one of the stalls. "The transport is so dark."

"Yes!" Texas agreed. "Let's spend the whole journey here!"