24. Two by two

A/N: Found this very fitting art by @greeb-grub on Tumblr :)

🐴🐴🐴

Five minutes ago, he had been running.

George had been running for his life, bursting through the midnight forest and away from Suit man and his hunters.

He had been so sure. So sure they would make it.

But then the river had stopped him.

He had hesitated. He hadn't trusted that Dream would stay on his back, and so he had crashed.

Now he sat in the water.

He was in his human form, only covered by the horse equipment. He was lucky his whole bottom half was in the water, invisible. Just to be sure he moved the blanket under the saddle to be positioned in front of him.

He was exposed.

"Is it... really you?" Dream whispered, still stunned and just standing there in the water, staring. "You're alive?"

"It is me," George replied with a small smile.

Dream was quiet, mouth wide open. Then he slowly started smiling, eyes sparkling in a way George had never seen them do before.

And then, he literally launched himself at him.

"It's you!" Dream cried. "It's actually you! You're here! You're alive, George!"

"I am! I am alive!" George laughed.

Dream gave him the biggest and hardest hug he had ever received. It felt like his bones crushed, but at the same time he felt so incredibly warm and safe and was absolutely overwhelmed with emotion.

Oh, how he had missed normal, human hugs.

The taller male's breathing was unsteady and his body was shaking. He was crying, but laughing at the same time.

"You're here. You're actually here," Dream breathed in between the laughing sobs.

They stayed in the hug forever. Dream seemed to never want to let go, and George didn't either.

It wasn't until the cold wind hit his bare arms he realised Dream was actually hugging him naked, and he felt his cheeks heat up.

"Uh, Dream... I'm not wearing any clothes," he mumbled.

"I don't care. I'm just so, so happy you're here, like, you don't even understand. You've missed so much!" Dream pulled away, looking George straight in the eyes. His own were shining, both from joy and the tears.

The he stood up, reaching out a hand for George to grab. "Come on, let's get you out of here. This changes everything!"

"I can't, Dream. I can't leave the water. I'll turn back."

"Turn- wait, what?" Dream went silent as it finally hit him. "You were the horse?"

George confirmed this with a nod.

"All that time... you were there?"

"I tried to tell you first. But then... all those things that happened? Between you and the horse? I didn't want you to know anymore. I thought you would hate me for it."

Dream was quiet again. "So that's why you knew all the commands when I rode you? And... all the things I said to you during the evenings... you heard all of that?"

George nodded again.

"The reason he were so similar to you and seemed to understand me so well... it was actually you. How did I not realise? And-"